Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annika Sorenstam

Options
  • 21-05-2003 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭

As you probably know, Annika Sorenstam has been invited to play in the Bank of America Colonial this weekend (first woman to be invited, as far as I know).

How do you think she'll do?

Paddy Power are running some 'interesting' Annika Specials ....

500 - 1 : Annika Sorenstam to win the 2003 Bank of America Colonial Classic

50 - 1 : Annika to be leader or joint leader after any completed round of the Bank of America Classic

25 - 1 : Annika Sorenstam to be fined for slow play in the Bank of America Colonial Classic

16 - 1 : Annika Sorenstam to be seen on Sky Sports kissing any other competitor on the lips during the Colonial Classic

11 - 4 : Annika Sorenstam to make the cut in the Bank of America Colonial Classic

Anyone fancy her chances this weekend ?? Will she even make the cut?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Interesting odds..

I'd say she might make the cut.

Would be an embarrasment for the male golfers if she won though. Would probably lead to alot more women golfers wanting to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The course is set up for accurate play rather than power play so she has a fair chance of not embarrasing herself but I'd be surpised if she finnished within 5-7 shots of the winner.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I know she is at 1 over now, but what is the leader on?

also what time does it start at again today?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She's on +1.

The current leader (Rory Sabbatini) is on -8.

The cut will probably be +3.

I presume it will start some time around midday.

- Dave.

Ha! She missed the cut. Still, she's more famous now than 2 weeks ago.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭steveocn300

What do u mean Ha She missed the cut? Annika is a top class golfer and is very capable of making the cut in a men's event but there will always be people who think ah no it is no place for a woman etc etc, I think Annika gave it her all and it just didnt happen but make no mistake she is more than capable and I hope she gets another chance somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Annika Sorenstam didn't make the cut, haa haa. It just goes to show that men are better than women, haa haa.
    Anyway, enough of that.

She didn't miss the cut by much and there was a lot of men who didn't make the cut as well - we don't hear about them now do we.

I wonder if she'll be invited to other events?

I think she said she has no intention of trying again.

As for my own "ha ha" reaction, I think she entered for the worst reasons namely to make a name for herself over and above her current fame. She perhapes also thought she could tweak a few tails which, sure enough she did. It felt like a stunt to me.

Still that said I look forward to Vijay Singe entering the womens USPGA open...

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah it's a pity that she said she won't try it again. The pressure and scrutiny she was under had to have had an effect.
    Plus, the fact that her short game was her downfall - she could obviously improve on this pretty easily with more opportunity.

Tiger said before she played that she should have signed up to play 5 events. He sais that it would be easy for her to miss the cut on a once-off like this. I'd agree with him on that. Taking any individual golfer over 36/72 holes isn't a measure of what they are capable of.

Advertisement