Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left handed golfers..

Options
  • 20-05-2003 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I took up the game about 18 months ago, and am left handed. To make matters worse, I'm bloody useless at it, and all the golf books, vieo guides etc, are all for right handed golfers.

Without coughing up for lessons (which I think I'm not ready for just yet) can anyone point me to a book/guide for a left handed beginner?

Cheers

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Why do you think your not ready for lessons MM ?? now is probably the time to take a few,and I dont mean this in a bad way, your better off getting a few lessons and building your game around the things the pro teaches you.

Your probably better than you think, and the one thing you dont want is to carry on playing for a year or so and pick up all the *tips* out on the course :D

I could be wrong here,but take Phil Mickelson,hes not naturally a left handed golfer,the reason he plays left handed is because when his father was practicing he would stand in front of him and mimic his swing,hence the left handed playing.

So what ever way you look at it the swing is the same for you as it is for a right handed player.

btw,what's your HC ?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I'm a right handed person who plays (back handed) left-handed...
    I took a couple of lessons and the Pro found it easy cause he could stand in front of me and like legion said, I could 'mimic' what he was doing.
    Regarding books, it's pretty easy to reverse everything that applies to right-handers because it will be a mirror image.

I'd say if you can, get 1 or 2 lessons on the fundamentals like grip, address position etc. so that at least when you practice, you are learning the 'good' habits... and a lot of golf is habit... it's when you try to 'think' too much about what you should be doing that your swing gets mechanical and not natural.

My HC was down to 7 but got busy at work and also left that club so since I haven't been playing much for a few years, I will have to hand in 3 cards again to get a new one... just waiting for some decent ones ;p
    I play in Gowran Park now in Kilkenny...

Advertisement