Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cheap MUSICMAN

Options
  • 20-05-2003 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

new musicman basses

apparently the only real difference is the finnish on the body, otherwise they are ment to be the some as "real" stingrays and they have SUB written on them.

they are also a good bit cheaper. i have the new edition of the musicstore.de catalogue in front of me - a Stingray costs 1750euro and the Stingray SUB is 888euro:)

only problem i can see is the they seem to have a dodgy "non-slip" metal scratch plate, but this can be changed. i am seriously considering getting one. has anyone got any wisdom they'd like to share on the matter???

cheers

ferdi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

oh, ok...the SUB have passive electronics instead of the active electronics in the real Stingrays.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

well i think u named your difference!

look nice indeed, try before u buy although dont know if you would get the chance, Music Maker and Instrumental are the only places that stock Music Mans in Dublin and both rarely get in new stock (of basses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by ferdi
    new musicman basses

apparently the only real difference is the finnish on the body, otherwise they are ment to be the some as "real" stingrays and they have SUB written on them.

they are also a good bit cheaper. i have the new edition of the musicstore.de catalogue in front of me - a Stingray costs 1750euro and the Stingray SUB is 888euro:)

only problem i can see is the they seem to have a dodgy "non-slip" metal scratch plate, but this can be changed. i am seriously considering getting one. has anyone got any wisdom they'd like to share on the matter???

cheers

ferdi
    I use a Sting Ray 5 myself and I'm very happy with it, it's a class bass. I happened to try one of those OLP licenced by Ernie Ball at Musicmaker and was very impressed... seriously, it's very cheap ad not to far from the original.

Here it is, give it a try

Btw, what the heck is that ?!?

It's DREADFUL, WTF?!?

now thats an ugly bass. yeah OLP are an atractive prospect

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ferdi
    now thats an ugly bass. yeah OLP are an atractive prospect
    Definitely! I need a spare bass too so I might get one of those.... even though if I manage to save some money I'll go for this:

0254500506x1000.jpg

Jaysus I'm in love with this bass, it's so feckin' mean............... :ninja:

man, thats one shlick bass. i'd be too nervous to play that...to much expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

There are more diferences than just the finish to take into account:

1. body woods: stingrays use selected hardwoods, the s.u.b only has the poplar option.

2. fingerboard wood: the s.u.b. only comes with a rosewood fingerboard, no maple option (i love maple necks, both my stingrays have 'em)

that aside, they look great and if (IF) they are also made in the states , rather that the far east where olp are made (and i think they are , judging by the price) then there is no reason why it shouldn't play as good as a €2000 stingray (it prob wont sound as good, cos its passive, but it'll still sound ok)

alal in all i expect them to play like a stingray and sound like an olp, and if you can get them for under a grand then thats pretty ****ing good!

i emailed musicstore.de and it turns out that the SUB are ACTIVE, so thats a stingray (minus the nice wood) made by Ernie Ball for 888euro - nice:cool:

only you'd have to have it sent from germania, i'm going there in august so i'll try it out at musicstore.de's outlet in Cologne.

Advertisement