Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! What do I charge??

Options
  • 19-05-2003 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Right Lads!

I've got the chance of an on-going nixer in Dublin for a Cork based company. Most of the jobs would be hardware related, fairly simple - just swap-outs and and Blue-Peter type networking. Some of the jobs would be out-of-hours (which suits us both!) - but I have one problem WHAT DO I CHARGE!!! I dont want to charge too little, cause I'll make myself look like a cheap-hure, and I dont want to charge too much, cause he might piss-off somewhere else. I THINK that maybe IBM do some of his servicing at the moment, but I'm not very sure. So good people of Boards - HELP ME!!!

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

work out how much you want to earn per year and then divide by a thousand that should give u the correct figure.. Its a good method..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I did summer work just after i did my leaving the first time. Really interesting stuff where I was let loose to write, design and code the company website for an internet kiosk company. I was also in charge with the day-to-day upkeep of the kiosks around the city.

I was seventeen at the time and I think I was getting about £6 for the first while with a raise if i was still there after a month. The raise never came but i dodn't mind cause i liked the work. The guy put me on £15 (I think) an hour for the last month. I guess he was feeling guilty about not giving me a raise but they also wanted me to stay on full time and not repeat my leaving.

Basically I rang the guy up the summer before first year in college and he asked me how much I was looking for. I said £10 and he basically said PFO. I regret not quoting something more reasonable and working up after a couple of weeks to more. Basically what i'm saying is be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you. Quote something reasonable on a trial basis, if they are happy then ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

put together your total costs for the year. oyur aimed salary, your travel costs, accomodation, absolutely everything.
    then devide by 220 (average amount of working days in a year) and this will give you a basic earning figure. now stick 50% on that and you will get the sort of daily rate you want to look for.

sure, its voodoo economics, but there you go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Originally posted by ballooba
    I did summer work just after i did my leaving the first time. Really interesting stuff where I was let loose to write, design and code the company website for an internet kiosk company. I was also in charge with the day-to-day upkeep of the kiosks around the city.

I was seventeen at the time and I think I was getting about £6 for the first while with a raise if i was still there after a month. The raise never came but i dodn't mind cause i liked the work. The guy put me on £15 (I think) an hour for the last month. I guess he was feeling guilty about not giving me a raise but they also wanted me to stay on full time and not repeat my leaving.

Basically I rang the guy up the summer before first year in college and he asked me how much I was looking for. I said £10 and he basically said PFO. I regret not quoting something more reasonable and working up after a couple of weeks to more. Basically what i'm saying is be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you. Quote something reasonable on a trial basis, if they are happy then ask for more.

To be honest Ballooba sounds like the guy was looking for cheap labour,Why hike your salery to £15 for the last month if £10 was too much as a regular wage? Dont kid yourself that he would of put your salery up after a couple of weeks,after all you had already proven your worth to the company.Any boss that treats his employees that way is not worth working for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

U should get as much as u can as u work for it and are entitled to it. Some people get paid twice as much as other people not because they do something that is twice as hard but because they have excellent communication skills and are able work out what they are worth to the employer and can work out how much leverage they can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by original gadget
    Right Lads!

I've got the chance of an on-going nixer in Dublin for a Cork based company. Most of the jobs would be hardware related, fairly simple - just swap-outs and and Blue-Peter type networking. Some of the jobs would be out-of-hours (which suits us both!) - but I have one problem WHAT DO I CHARGE!!! I dont want to charge too little, cause I'll make myself look like a cheap-hure, and I dont want to charge too much, cause he might piss-off somewhere else. I THINK that maybe IBM do some of his servicing at the moment, but I'm not very sure. So good people of Boards - HELP ME!!!

:confused:

We had another thread about this not so long ago (I asked the question). Do a search - you should dig it up. I'd recommend at least €30 - €40 per hour.

Advertisement