Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best reality-leakage

• 19-05-2003 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

So which of the realworld seeking into diskworld bits is your favourite?

for me it has to be death's motorcycle in soul music :).

Or Dr. Rinjswand as a close second :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There was a lot of it in Soul Music.

Imp y Celyn translated as Bud of the Holly=Bud y Holly= Buddy Holly.

"You look a bit Elvish about the ears".

Classic. And probably my favourite bits.

There was a bit in the Soul Music animation, I don't recall it being in the book, where the band were in Quirm and Imp said that they were more popular than cheeses, which provided me with much Beatles-related mirth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

"Ummm Ank-Morpork, er, We have an Orangutang!"

As in:
    "Ummm Houston, er, We have a Problem!"

Form the last hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Snowglobes and shopping trolleys do it for me every time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Reality leakage as a whole I think is not such a good thing. (Blasphemer, I know!) But Moving Pictures followed by Reaper Man followed by Soul Music was a bit much. Discworld shouldn't become just a humorous take on real life, it's as popular as it is as a little world of its own that we can recognise ourselves in. The characters are all "real" characters, which is excellent, and prevents if from becoming a fantasy series.

And I can't stand the Dis-Organisers.

But shopping trollies - genius. Small doses is the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I quite like the personal Dis-Organisers, and the other modern tech parodies that are creeping in.

I cant wait for the first unsolicited clacks message offering
    "Black Alisses enlarging unguent"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

The trolleys, and that bit from the Soul Music animation that Sarky just reminded me of...heh, cheeses....

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by echomadman
    I quite like the personal Dis-Organisers, and the other modern tech parodies that are creeping in.

I cant wait for the first unsolicited clacks message offering
    "Black Alisses enlarging unguent"

LOL! very good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

The "Knee-tops" and C-Commerce :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in soul music

"we're on a mission from Glod"

that pwned my pwnage sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Didn't Imp y Celyn also mention something about "doing the show right here"?:)

How could I forget the bast though? Wyrd Sisters is just one big reality leakage urine extraction of Macbeth, and a fantastic one at that. I thought the book was funny, then I read Macbeth and it sparked off memories of the book(it's hard to read the play seriously in an english class when it keeps reminding you about the Marx Brothers and a large orangutan:D )

If you read some of the great classics, like some of Shakespeare's stuff, the phantom of the Opera, and suchlike, some of those books will be even funnier as you spot little digs at the logic or the language...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

I thought the Dorfl / Robocop crossover at the end of Feet of Clay was quite funny

"Undead or alive, youre coming with me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

"those wire baskety wheely things"

the notes like "Sale!!! starts tomorrow!!!"

Advertisement