Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Power failure in south Dublin knocks RTE, ntl off briefly

Options
  • 18-05-2003 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

At about 9.12 during the RTÉ One news, the lights went out for about a second here in Cabinteely..
    The TV remained on and in the seconds that followed, I flicked around and all channels were off on ntl analogue for about 10 seconds.

Network 2 was a black screen for about 30 seconds, then returned to programmes...

RTÉ One came back with a black screen, then a jumbled image, then for about 10 minutes a "ONE" logo was on screen whilst a lady anounced "We appologise for the break in transmission, we hope to return to the newsroom shortly".
    On return, the newsreader appologised for the very much unexpected break in tx and said a power outage in the area was to fault.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

YEah I noticed a flicker here.

My PC stayed on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

According to the paper, RTE was off the air for over 12 minutes!!! This is incredible considering that this is a national broadcaster with enormous engineering resources! Where was their back up power?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by BrianD
    According to the paper, RTE was off the air for over 12 minutes!!! This is incredible considering that this is a national broadcaster with enormous engineering resources! Where was their back up power?

Well, it happened to the BBC several times, and they have a lot more resources than RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Unacceptable! Should be a UPS with a generator to kick in!

Advertisement