Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazy people

Options
  • 13-05-2003 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In work the is this chap who is meant to be there to give advice, if you have a problem or your stuck with something, but this asshole, does not want to know,he prefers to sit on his ass and do nothing all day instead of his job ,what would you do rat him out to your boss or pull him over yourself and have a chat with him about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

same thing happened to me this weekend. Luckily Im mates with the boss and have been there a long time. So just quetly mention it to a higher level but dont stir sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Invite him out for a few drinks and give him a good kicking, i hate people like that, I have worked them before and it is a pain having to do your job and put up with them aswell. good kickcing will sort him/or her out.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you have a problem go to him and get help. If he doesn't help then ask him why he can't help. I would then confront him if he tries to fob you off. Lastly I would go to a higher level if he persists.

I'll put this in Work as it is more apt there methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the person next up the line. Say you have a problem with procedure X, the other guy can't help you and would they be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

a batein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by Grimes
    a batein

Does sound quite nice in this case.ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bigthicko

The vice principal of my school was like that so I had my dad go up and berate him for being a useless w*nker. It was the best day of my life but i'm guessing you can't do that...My advice would be to make a holy show of the guy...but I guess that's kinda mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

what Gordon said. its a work place, and deserves professional conduct. end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rapidude

Isnt that what HR's for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What victor says sounds good! Ask the next person up for help.. When he asks why you dont ask the muppet, then simply say he cant or wont help! Tell the muppet first if he fobs you off.. Just say "Fine i will ask your superior if he can help".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

The last place I worked (and actually the others too to a lesser extent) there was at least one person who came in at 9, floated around, and went home at 6 every single day without getting any substantial work done. From my experience, these type of people know for a fact that they get away with doing nothing. Everyone else knew too. They lick up to the boss which makes them look untouchable. You could actually say to this person 'How the fcuk do you manage to do nothing all day?' and they just smile back. Upset them and they end up getting you into trouble.

As was mentioned above, ask directly why the person can't or isn't willing to help. If it gets to be a major problem for you/others let management know that you're trying to work in a team environment and there are some who just aren't playing ball.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If it effects you and the performance of your job, you really have to say something to your manager/boss. Its quite likely that if this persons behaves like this with you, that the behavior is the same with many people.

If you have performance chats with your supervisor.manager whatever they are called these days, one question you shoudl be asked is... is there anyway we can assist you to improve your performance.. they answer is not .... more money... its I get no assistence with any of the problem cases I refer to "Joxer", he doesnt want to know, can you do something about it....

You then have the chance to go back to your boss/manager/supervisor and ask what if anything has been done about it...

Dont be malicious or a tattle tale... tell it like it is and more importantly how it really affects you in your job.

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Follow procedure and ask the guy for advice like your supposed to. After he fobs you off go up the ladder to the next person, not with a complaint but seeking the same advice that you did not recieve assistance with initially.

If the next person up helps you, fair enough - do it again, they will soon be looking for the reason why they are being consulted. Let them know that you have been following the proper channels and are initially asking the assigned person, without much success.

The next person up alternatively may say that it is not their job to help you. Your response to this will be to ask who can be of assistance. If they mention the assigned person point out that this person has already been consulted to no avail.

Also if your job involves documenting everything that you do - take every opportunity to document the fact that you have asked this person for help and did not receive a useful response.

None of this is actually ratting on the peson - it will build up to create a bad reputation for the person though. Not a quick fix solution but you will be doing your job to the best of you ability. If there is something that doesn't get done because you needed help and the help wasn't there, it won't be your fault because you did actually seek the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

in fairness..
    u have no respect for the dude anyways..

me personally id call him a fat piece of useless ****e and tell him to get up off his arse and start doing some work for a change..

a smart little comment like that can go a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Regardless of whether he has respect for the bloke or not, someone else thought enough of the guy to put him in the job in the first place.

I really doubt smart comments will move the situation forward, if anything it will give the lazy guy grounds to say that our angry guest has an attitude problem or something like that.

Personaly I don't think it is wise to air negative feelings directly in this kind of manner. It's kinda like putting your cards on the table when you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd say go with Vexorg & p.pete's advice. Being professional is the only way to go. One thing though, do make sure you make some complaint. Consider it your civic duty.

Lazy gits having decent jobs because noone complains is one of the things wrong with this country.

Good Luck,

- Kevin

Advertisement