Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planescape: torment

Options
  • 11-05-2003 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

has anyone else out there played this game? anyone..........i've been hammering on to my friends about it for years but nobody seems to care, its too good a game to be left un noticed, lost in a world of baulders gate fans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Planescape is indeed very very good.

Its story is amazingly engrossing, its characters richleh detailed and the intricacy of the step by step unweaving of your past is astoundingly well done.

HOWEVER, while Ill be the first to admit the Story to P:T is above and beyond BG 2, Im rather reluctant to call it the better game.

The fighting aspects of the game seemed to be thrown in as an afterthought, although they were some *very* memorable fights (you know which :))

The basic plot of the amnesnia addled protaginast could have easily turned into a cliché-aton, but with a fantabulous supporting cast and carefully directed scripting, it became one of my all time favourite games (/me goes misty eyed and murmurs sweet nothings)

Unfortunately meh copy of it is broken(Stops installing at 55%, if anyone knows how to fix her, sexual favours will be handed out gratuitously) so a new one seems to be in order.

Keep nagging your friends until they buy it, tis well worth it.

..If that doesnt work just hit them one across the back of the head with a shovel and ram a copy up their anal passage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nordom: Annah! Morte wishes to "snuggle with your pillows"!

Classic. A wonderful story to it, it actually made me feel for the character, and the ending was poignant, it just didn't seem fair...:(

Fantastic game. Beg, plead, and downright threaten your friends until they get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by Sarky
    Classic. A wonderful story to it, it actually made me feel for the character, and the ending was poignant, it just didn't seem fair...

Are you referring to the ending or THE Ending.

I cant actually remember the former but in the case of the latter, I share your pain man...

..sniffle

You went to hell either way. I guess there's a message there...

But it's easily the best story in a RPG I've seen. I can't actually say I saw much of it coming. And it was interesting, the regained memories, the strange powers, and the bigger spells looked gorgeous. That lightning storm, the meteor strike...Mwah!
    /me does the french chef kissy fingertips thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Excellent game indeed and has not been overlooked.. just there is no MP so it does not get talked about much after the SP has been completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I have heard many good things about this game and would love to try it but I cannot find it anywhere. It seems to be "out of print" and It doesn't appear to have a budget re-release.

Any one know where I can (legally) get a copy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

a the torement a wonderful storyline good graphics and a game where the ineracting with other charchters is so important and twists the plot.

This is on of those rare thing a rpg that is truly worth replaying ; adjusting ur stats differently and seeing what will happen this time. Also the option to switch classes cant say i've seen it done that well in any other game.

For me it was the politics, factions and wanting to know that made the game and ahhh wasnt the lady of pain doll cute.

There was an rpg seesion at Gealcon Last year that was a murder mystery in Sygil that was great too.

it is nice to play a slightly darker game that is not all kill the orcs get the treasure return ladies snotty noses comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah the best thing about the game was party member interaction!! I miss that in BG games and even NWN!!
    In Torment you could talk to any of your party members... in fact the game in some cases needed it to be done or you could not regain your eh,. memory! It was class... some of the stories you were told where great... And the NPC interaction was truly excellent too!! I loved the character too.. pity i could not export him and use in BG2 :D Oh how i tried... i tried renaming to BG2 format too..ah well.. Mad Mike try Pcworld, they have lots of old games... might not be cheap though :mad: Best place might be gamesworld! Or post in the wanted section of boards... i have a copy but not letting it go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

what most impressed me was the dialogs, theyre so brilliant and smart and funny, especially when nordom's involved

just found out recently dan castlanetta(homer simpson) does his voice, skinner from xfiles is dakkon, sheena easton from baywatch is annah, some other kind of famous people in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Snarky - You went to hell either way. I guess there's a message there...

The message is that they wouldn't pay for another cgi video. Also did anyone else notice that the mage class was waaay more powerful than the others? And there was that xp factory under the city where whole hordes of high xp monsters
    were killed with a single cloud kill. Such a fun game however. Although I must say i enjoyed BG2 + TOB more (BG1 sucked im sorry and I never found that...feck...that drow ranger guy! Dammit I should now this)
    *mummbles and ranting for a while*

Drizzt!! I found it it's Drizzt Do'urden!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lol drizzt in the very liddle of the map in the section directly south of the Gnoll keep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Planescape Torment Re-Re-Released for £5stg...

We should see it in store then for €6.99 soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by James Melody
    Planescape Torment Re-Re-Released for £5stg...

Whoopee - Looks like God does read forums after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

YES! I don't care that my old copy will resurface as soon as I've bought it... I just want that game back. Hell 2 copies would probably be somehow useful... Or maybe not. Either way, if I haven't gotten my old copy back I'm getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sven, i have a copy of it, so next time I see you, remind me

Dave, Ian has a copy too. And if, by some strange chance you don't know where your copy came from it's mine! MINE!
    <it's floating amongst some group of people and I was pretty certain I'd lent it to Gary, but he denies it, and my memory of events surrounding its disappearance are too muddled to allow me argue... maybe he lost mine and got yours... ???>

The Modron maze had everything: Limitless xp, wandering, fighting, plot fillers ("You now have a slightly clearer idea of what is happening") Magical objects, and three difficulty settings.

The Planescape universe, or rather, multiverse, shows you how really insignificant the whole Baldur's Gate "epic" was in the grand scheme of things.

And the plot. I keep going on about the plot. The fate of a million worlds does NOT hang in the balance! The story only affects a core group of people, and most of all, yourself. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

second sarky's comment.
    PT really rocked. so damn cheap aswell for anyone who hasent bought it yet! (def worth it)
    That and Baldurs gate 1 are the two best games ive ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Well I thought it was stupid that I sold one of my friends into slavery in return for the black magic spell "Kill" and it had no negative effect on my alignment. (which was good)

Heh... I took all the nicest options as regards quests and never asked for payment. Then I went and killed almost everyone in Sigil. I ended up "Chaotic Good". :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, no its mine, all mine.

I gave mine to gary brielfy, but I got it back soon. Once again remind me in the summer, and i'll get it to you

Sorry... as you can imagine I'm freaking over lost copy so... y'know...

It was quite impressive just how very evil you could be, they put more thought into it than most RPGs. Instead of just killing the person trying to lead you into a trap, tell them their performance is unbelievable and give them tips on how to do it better!

Instead of threatening someone with death to pay a tab, slip poison into their drink!

Instead of using the magic sword to hack the Deva's chains off, threaten him with it for information!

It was the most intricate, well thought out RPG I ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

arghhh..none of the stores have got the budget release in over here...

I'd love to play it again..Anybody willing to sacrifice a copy?

Advertisement