Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Throws News

Options
  • 11-05-2003 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Per the NY Times today Paddy McGrath 238' 6" approx 72.70 at Larry Ellis Inviational - New Jersey on saturday.

The article also notes that Paddy has become an American citizen and hopes to compete for the US in Athens.

Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

Well done to Paddy. Perhaps if he hadn't had to fight to get his grant money, he would still be throwing for Ireland. I don't know...

Throwing for the USA has the advantage of being guaranteed a place at the Olympics if you win the trials, no matter the distance. In light of the ridiculous standard and the OCI's insistance on only taking those who make the standard, this is a sensible move for Paddy.

The treatment of Paddy by some of the old farts in the BLE/AAI was abysmal. He and his parents were insulted by the behaviour of a few of those who were or are in positions where they could have been very helpful. At a time when the hammer throwing tradition in Ireland is at low ebb, we can ill afford losing an athlete of Paddy's ability. With the exception of Roman Linscheid, we now have no throwers over 60m!

Paddy is a great guy, and his departure to greener fields is a sad day for Irish Athletics.

Good luck Paddy! Throw very far!

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Kind of sad that there are no throwers selected for Latvia.

AAI Team Announcement

Is there no Women's hammer for Eileen O'Keeffe? My guess if that Eileen is currently the topped rated thrower in Ireland this season.

What is Terry McHugh's status. Will he be competing this year?

Martin

Fair play to the AAI in bringing a couple decent women over to give Eileen a bit of competition in the AAI Games. It is a shame that there are no throwers picked for the trip and certainly Eileen would be the best ranked thrower in Ireland at the moment. A bit of interantional experience, especially for the throwers is always a good thing. I have no doubts that she could throw very far if she is able to get enough time off to train properly.

I'm sure Terry is working diligently on preparation for the upcoming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tim-Thrower Tim

Well done to Eoin Leen in the Munster Juniors
    35lb WFD 9.95m pb
    1.75kg Discus 48.35m pb
    6kg Shot 17.7m pb

Also to Rachel Akers
    Discus 38.98m pb

Deirdre Murphy
    Discus 38.83m pb

Paddy finished 3rd in the USA Track & field Championships yesterday at 72.12m . Full Results

I nticed that Paddy's declaration for the USA was covered on the Independent site: McGrath deals hammer blow

One wonders whether Paddy's switch could have been avoided.

Martin

• Advertisement

I'm sure Paddy has many reasons fo declaring for the USA, but surely the shoddy treatment he and his parents got from the old guard AAI/BLE officialdom didn't help matters.

The fact that the facility nearest his home was off-limits didn't help either.

Who will fill his shoes? Is Roman throwing this year?

Not a bad start to Roman's season

Roman Opens

Seems like Nick Sweeney has changed his specialty :-)

Nick Sweeney Story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Looks like that well-known athletics expert, Paddy Hickey, is going to prevent our Nick from realising his Olympic dream.
    He's achieved the standard five weeks before the [IAAF] deadline, so what's the problem?

Advertisement