Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Other message bored

• 07-05-2003 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

The other message bored it out of control. As a site Ide guess it has to most visits by Irish athletes, to check out the latest results and opinions??? The ability to post with such little fuss is the attraction that the board has. But what opinions would someone gather should they tune into the board these days after all it is still the board that appears when Irish athletics is typed in a search engine.

Freedom of speech is a right everyone deserves but not when it becomes slandereous to others. The board has nothing to do with athletics most of the time. But if the board continues on the downward slope it is on. It should be shut down or at the very least have the former adminstrator set it up so IP address appear with the posts
    The board has been taken over by immature adolescents (I hope just adolescents)

I know this board hasnt taken off the way that had been hoped. Maybe it would stand a better chance if that bored was shut down. Insulting, abusive, disrespectful, and slanderous people should not be allowed an opportunity to shout their narrow minded opinons under the header of 'Irish Athletics'. It would not be allowed in any other communication forum.

Any one got any opinons on that?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The admin of that board has said that they were going to leave it there on the assumption (I think) that most would move, but they haven't which is probably due to inertia more than anything else.

This board is staying put anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tim-Thrower Tim

The administrator of the other board has stated previously that he/she has no interest in regulating the board. If that is the case then why not just shut it down the way Martin did with his? I know someone might just set up another one, hopefully most people would move here, but at least if someone set up a new board there might be some form of admin. Does antone know who is responsible for setting up the other board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Fergalfit
    But what opinions would someone gather should they tune into the board these days after all it is still the board that appears when Irish athletics is typed in a search engine.

Why dont you try to google-bomb it? Would take a bit of effort, but if its page rankings you are after, it might work.

http://uber.nu/2001/04/06/
    http://www.microcontentnews.com/articles/googlebombs.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 david brent

i've got a feeling that some of the people posting slanderous comments on the other board will have it come back and slap them in the face pretty soon. that should sort it all out. ousting the admin would help aswell, does anyone know how to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan Kavanagh

A lot of correspondence has taken place on the other Board regarding the laws on defamation etc. with regard to much of the rubbish that has appeared there as 'comment' recently. Much as I appreciate the efforts made by various people to enlighten us on the law here, surely the real point is being lost. It is wrong and unfair to make these posts and, undoubtedly, very upsetting and distressing to the victims (and their families) of the various malicious and salacious comments that have been posted on that Board at various times over the past year or so. When deciding to publicise the private lives and actions of athletes, individuals posting on that Board seem to have no regard for the effect, which seem 'funny' to the poster, that these post have on the individuals affected. While I have no doubt that the vast majority of the comments are untrue and people's reputations and good name are being constantly being falsely besmirced, it is still wrong for people's private actions to be publicised. Whether the Administrator, the ISP etc. are legally liable is a side issue. Even if posters are doing nothing for which which they can legally be held to account, doesn't make the actions of these posters right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fergalfit

I think one of the major problems are that of these posts are been started by immature teens! In the same way the school yard bully does not take into account the feelings of their victims the same is happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

I remember a prior post from the admin indicating that users should migrate to this board, but that the problem board would not be shut down as he/she felt that problem posters should have a forum to post there dross. I'm not sure why one would want to offer a dross facility??

Frankly, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable having highly questionable posts associated with a service I suppposedly regulate.

I've always been perplexed as to the unwillingness of the admin of the problem board to clearly identify him or herself.

The problem board URL indicates that the admin is one "mkenny". Does anybody know this person and if so can he or she be prevalied upon tro shut down the board.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 david brent

i'm almost certain "mkenny" is an alias of sorts. nobody really knows who the other boards admin is. i think the relatively small amount of people who have migrated to this board shows how few people are looking for constructive discussion. a lot of people enjoy the crap that gets put up there,

Frankly I do believe there is constructive discussion taking place on the problem board. There are plenty of thoughtful posts there, however they are swamped with some pretty salacious libelous posts.

What we need is to move the quality posters over here. Any thoughts?

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

I've continued posting there as it appears the audience is larger, and some respected names in Irish athletics were still posting there, at least until quite recently.

I am ready to leave now as some joker or jokers have taken to signing my name to their posts and there is not a hell of a lot I can do about it. I am fighting my corner to protect my name there but with no support.

If those who visit this site would take a little more time and effort to reply to posts, or post a new topic, it would be a great help in getting this board off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To quote you - "I have no copyright on my name. If you indeed are named Ed as are thousands of others you should feel free to use that name elsewhere. Here, you should respect the fact that I got it first."

What do you suggest Edward - Will we break out the birth certs and settle this....??

Whats the big deal - people are just trying to wind you up and you played right along with them. If you had have kept quiet they would have got tired of the idea.

Your own fault!

It is nice to have the facility to be recognised by a unique handle, such as registering here, in my opinion. As for using a name such as 'Ed' on an unregulated medium, well, I have no strong opinion.

I don't think that argument belongs here though.

ecksor,

The point remains that whatever handle one were to use on an unregulated board, anyone alse could use it as well, which then drags the genuine poster down to the level of the all too numerous anonymous posters.

In any civilsed board there is a certain etiquitte that is followed in that no one uses anothers identity, whether it be their real name as is the case here, or their handle.

There are many boards that are self policing in this respect. Of course in most of these, the IP is visible and the fraudulant poster is immediately revealed.

Ed

I do see your point, and my opinion on having the facility to register is similar to yours I think? Does the facility that these boards offer solve your problem in that regard?

As I said, I don't have a strong opinion on it in relation to the other message board.

It goes without saying that registration solve the problem.

One would like to think that common sense would prevail on even an unregulated board, but it just seems to prove that anarchy most likely isn't the way forward...

Did somebody pull the plug on the other board? It seems to be defunct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Explosive Jim

Yeah lets hope its well and truely dead!!! Their were too many people on that board stirring c**P on that board. Athletics seemed be be secondery to everyone bar the throwers (who were the only ones who posted under their own names)
    I really hope this board takes off!!!

Hi Ed,

Maybe the board host is down. If the problem board has been discontinued, I would have hoped that the admin gave prior warning. There were a lot of posters there who were providing value and may have been left hanging. I wonder if they know the URL for this board so that they can continue their productive postings?

To all: spread the word on this board's URL so that we can build up the community.

Martin

Advertisement