Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job applications

Options
  • 03-05-2003 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

ok... so there's two ways to apply for a job. by post, or by email.

basically when you apply for any given job, you attach a coverletter, which is fine if you're applying by post. but i find that when i'm applying via email, i send the Coverletter and CV together in one document. so , what do i write in the email?

it's not like i can just attach a word document and hope for the best. in the past i've just wrote this...

"Dear sir/madam,

I am writing to you to enquire about possible full time
    employment with you this summer and autumn. Please find
    attached a word document which includes a cover letter, CV and
    a short letter of reference.

Thanking you,
    Anthony Quinn".

...and just attached a CV with coverletter. should i instead drop the coverletter and use it in the email instead of these few lines of bullcrap?? or should i leave the whole lot as is for them to print off, does the email only need to be short, sweet and to the point so they know what its about?

thanks in advance. :) (i am a student by the way incase you're wondering about the summer and autumn thing! :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

a bit off topic and a bit related. i'm a student too, looking for a job and iv applied for quite a few now but still no look. some of them have been by email and i normally i just wrote the same stuff you put in the email, a few lines, and then send the cv and coverletter, but given my success, maybe thats where im going wrong.

if you hear of anything, jobwise, let us know....

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

hey fizzy,

i guess that kinda email is grand enough. simple, to the point. 'cos i got a call back from a recruitment agency tellin me to give 'em a buzz when i finish my exams, and i got a letter back from another company. not a good letter, they weren't hiring, but at least i got the letter, which i thought was cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I assume that you are applying for positions that "May" be available? I find that if you are applying by e-mail either to an agency or company, browse their situations vacant areas and e-mail quoting a job number saying:

"I am contacting you in reference to your job reference number blah". To the point and all you have to say after that is I have done x for the last few years and heres my attached CV and............ you get the picture.

K-

Advertisement