Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEMI blocking of a stolen phone

Options
  • 02-05-2003 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently had my very expensive (€800) SE P800 mobile stolen in college.
    Fortunatly the phone was screen locked (have to enter a 4 digit PIN, even to turn it off) and the SIM was also PIN protected. However I don't want to give the bastid any chance of using the device and want to also blacklist the IEMI number.
    Vodafone had this to say -

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting Vodafone with your query. Please accept my apologies for the delay in dealing with your request.

Unfortunately this service is only available to billpay customers who have insuranced their phone.

Thank you for contacting us via e-mail, if you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on readytogo@Vodafone.ie or call save 1850 20 87 87 between 8am-10pm.

Kind regards
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Ready To Go
    Vodafone Customer Care Team

Why won't they extend this facility to other customers?
    Surely they have a duty to help cut down mobile theft in this country.
    It's not like it's difficult to do.
    There is an international EIR database of these black and grey list numbers - and proving you bought the phone is dead easy as the IEMI number is on the box and usually on you're reciept too.

pissed off,

tribble:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No offence, but to spend €800 on a phone and not get insurance is laughable. 800! *faints*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

insurance not available on RTG phone -

O2 will insure but only upto c. €250 and only after 6 months.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

You should be able to insure any phone with Phonecare Insurance (1800 409472) - Just tell them it's a contract phone - They can't tell the difference !

Otherwise get it insured with you home insurance policy - most cover mobile phones outside the home for a small charge.

thanks v10 - i'll keep that inm mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

who have insuranced their phone
    Please tell me they didn't use "insuranced". Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

There should be a National Database coming into service pretty soon that caters for your type of situation (Can't remeber the name for it :confused: ) . I know Meteor can block an IMEI so it cannot be used on the meteor network again, but am unaware of other companies policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I don't know much about it but I didn't think it was that difficult to change the IMEI number on a phone anyway?

It's interesting though I gave Vodafone my IMEI number but I'm RTG as well, if it's not going to help me if my phone gets stolen what's the point in giving them the number?

Please tell me they didn't use "insuranced". Please.
    yup they did :ninja:

-> Fidelis & Mutz
    as you can see from my reply fom vodafone this appears to be a premium service for bill pay users only - vodafone muppets :rolleyes:

thanks guys

tribble

It's interesting though I gave Vodafone my IMEI number but I'm RTG as well, if it's not going to help me if my phone gets stolen what's the point in giving them the number?

odd - who did you give it to in voda? (RTG customer serviceor someody else)

you can change the IEMI but it aint so easy on unpopular/ new phones as the SW/hardware isn't available

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Just when I bought it they said do you want us to take a note of your IMEI number, I said yeh why not.

I checked on My Vodafone on the Vodafone site and sure enough my IMEI number is there. RTG customers can add their number through the site, for what reason who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    I don't know much about it but I didn't think it was that difficult to change the IMEI number on a phone anyway?

It can be quite easy (depending on the phone)
    But is illegal and can cause problems if someone
    else owns the new IMEI
    (both phones will be kicked off the network)

The UK have a good system in place..
    (related website: www.immobilise.com)
    We need something like that here..

It's a disgrace that vodafone will only block billphones..
    Maybe 10yrs from now they will catch up with UK.
    HD

But is illegal and can cause problems if someone

i was unaware that it is illigal - i have done it myself with my 8850 just to see if i could (i changed it back).

(related website: www.immobilise.com)
    nice site, just the sort of thing i though we had over here:(

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Originally posted by tribble
    i was unaware that it is illigal - i have done it myself with my 8850 just to see if i could (i changed it back).

Def illegal in UK.. Not 100% about Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gijoees

Hi all,

I realise this thread is donkey's years old at this stage but like that had my phone stolen last weekend that was on 2 months old. My google account says its inactive so I am assuming who ever has it has logged out or erased / re-set it.

Is there a way to black list a Xiaomi Note 12 using the IEMI number? Its bill pay and not insured. It isn't really about the money, I had everything on it and so well organised and I would hate to see a thief walking way it and it working.

Thank you.

Advertisement