Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Northwest Radio been taken of the air?

Options
  • 02-05-2003 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

I was watching the news there a couple of days ago, and they were saying that the broadcasting commision were going to take Nwr off the radio. Is this true?

Im not the biggest fan of the station any time im listening to it back home, but they cant take a radio station of the air that provides an excellent service to the local community and has a decent enough listenership.

What are peoples view on the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I always thought it sucked, and was too rural orientated.

Check out this story
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=12224

its facing competition from a consortium that plans a more modern approach, bring it on, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

I dont think it should be given the boot. After all most of the listenership is pretty old and do live in rural areas.

Its a pity they cant allow two stations to operate for the area, one for the younger listenership and one for the older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by MAC_E
    Its a pity they cant allow two stations to operate for the area, one for the younger listenership and one for the older.

Agreed, I think most people would dump 2FM, if they could, but in that region all you have is
    2FM - stagnant for the last 15 years, rubbish.
    today FM - quality station all round
    NWR - unappealing to the youth market
    Radio 1 - more appealing to the 35 + market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ok in all fairness, in relation to NWR, its not the best station but lets face it we dont really have a great selection in the north west.

I am from leitrim and i noticed there recently that if you are driving around the neighbourhood you only have access to

Radio 1, 2Fm Radio na Gea....., Lyric, Today Fm, NWR and Shannonside if you are lucky, the further north you go you may pick up highland radion (if it still exists its been that long since i heard it).

Competition is good and another consortium should be bidding for the rights to broadcast but not at anothers expense.

I count 7 stations approx, for the sligo/leitrim region, 7 that is not a major amount, if you are ever in dublin the amount of local stations up here is savage. I hounestly think there is alot more scope for another couple of stations which can target any group weither it be from the baba to the mama, the teenager to the retired.

In relation to NWR, once again it would not be first tune in but i have to say it aint all that bad, and my mother does think that Paul Claffey is GOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

The Bci seem like a mixed up group. I think they have hidden agendas.

Down in Waterford they wouldnt allow a License to be granted for a local radio station because of the type of music they played. They wanted the station to change from Dance music over to chart/pop orientated music.

Im not a fan of the way the media is regulated in Ireland, its all way too strict and set to very annoying regulations and criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have never liked NWR due to its extortionate amount of material primarily aimed at over 35's. Though I do realise that it had a massive listenership. Indeed, I cannot see why Ocean FM Radio couldn't run side by side with NWR.

IIRC, didn't Highland Radio (behind another application, oddly named Ocean FM) want to be allowed to transmit in South Donegal and compete with NWR but were refused?

I can just about pick up Highland though seldom listen to it as my reception is poor this side of Barnesmore Gap!

I just hope Ocean FM Radio aim their station more at under 35's!

did anyone get an update on this, i thought i heard something there recently that it was going ahead and that the ocean group had been successful in their bid. Not sure how accurate taht is but maybe someone can give an update

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mate

They have been given a date to stop transmissions. Early september I think. But by all accounts the station and the listeners are not going to let it go without a fight. Protests have been organised. Personaly I cant see why the two stations and others cant operate. Why is only one allowed for the region?

thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've been following the whole NWR saga from afar, and knowing the way ITV and how it is done franchising in Britain over the years, it is easy to see why NWR is doing a war dance.

But lets face it. Its franchise has been put up for renewal, a competitor won and that should be that.

The BCI focused a lot on the ownership of the station and the fact that a lot of broadcasting is done from Ballyhaunis, in MWR. Ocean FM were a local consortium from Sligo and South Donegal and with the rest of their commitments to the BCI, beat NWR. But one thing I do argee with NWR on, is that the BCI should've had an appeals mechanism for situations like this.

Now, with the way management in NWR seem to be organising protests and petitions, it could turn into the farce that is radio in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Like you said previously, the consortium outbid NWR for the rights to broadcast in the region, i am not fully aware on the whole rights and wrongs of the full scenario, but one thing i do know is that the NWR following is strong, Paul Claffey has a strong support and following and that may be the one thing that may save face.

From what i can understand from home is the feeling is not good in the way it was all conducted, we all know that, but i would say myself the petitions and the boycotting will be starting soon.

It reminds me of the whole MMS and cable vision saga in Donegal back in 98, I pity the sales people going on the road selling advertising and the like, it just wont happen, and if they cant raise funds then the wont survive.

They wont have the backing of the people and therefore may not have the backing of local business.

Advertisement