Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Domination

Options
  • 01-05-2003 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

How would you take over the world?

Stratigically and tactically? Politically or Miltary Action (or a combination of both)? Would you be a public leader or control puppet leaders while hiding in obsurity and shadows? Would you do it for selfish or selfless reasons? What government type would you use to create and control your Empire?

Would love to debate the above questions with people like yourselves, smart, enjoy good conversation and intelligent debate and whom think like world leaders really ought to think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

This forum is for discussing strategy games, where you would discuss world domination on these forums at all is a mystery (we didnt think of that one), so expect it to be locked soon enough, however with the sheer lack of traffic here recently I dont think anyone will even bother to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

strategy games are taking over the world, weather it be either of the Diplomacy or Risk game type. The question was meant to incourage a bit of thinking, it may have been a bit too abrupt and my sense of humour is not universal. What it was meant to say in a general say, how do you people strategically think? are you of the pateint build up of resources or the oppertunist? see question after question, the questions can be applied to the games, thats why I was asking. I can understand the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

So your not an evil overlord plotting to take over the world? oki dokey, settled then :)

I tend to go for resource gathering first, and amas an army which is guarentee'd to get the job done, as I hate leaving a base only half destroyed. I also like having an ally by my side (especially in AoE games, market places rock). However in some games I love sending in millions of the cheapest unit to their doom to distract the enemy and set up poitntless defence post's to stop an attack I will probably never repeat. I also like to kill any builders in sight, their just fun to kill). And if the oppertunity is open I have a lot of air units to strike any resource outposts the enemy has, they haven o money, they have no army.

So i try to win by starving the enemy and becoming rich myself, this tends to involve some very strong defence's at main base and a sturdy outpost at all my resource area's. (now if only I could find my AoE2 again Id love a game of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

resource gather while using cheap fast units to hassle the enemy. by doing this you can normally keep him occupied at his base and not have to worry about him doing a mass attack on yours. once my resources are coming in nice and fast i build a large attack force and a smaller reserve. then i go any really hurt them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Firstly you have to look at what it is you want to achieve from this world domination. Personally I think it is only a certain mentality that actually wants to achieve it.

It's not really about money or greed - it's more about absolute power, common sense stuff so far.

If you talk about governments then you are really limiting yourself. You only really dominate the people within the bounds of that country. War is the main weapon in your arsenal for expanding that power. Diplomacy never gained power over anyone, only passiveness which is not what we're aiming for.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the multinational coorporation. It's roots will be based in one country but the scope of influence is virtually global. Even countries that had previously resisted globalisation through efforts such as communism are beginning to crack (i.e. McD's in Moscow etc).

Within most individual countries, campaigns can be funded and favours can be bought. This leaves the door open to the previously mentioned governmental weapon of war. With carefully selected battles you can take over your own Middle Eastern country complete with oil fields.

I say take over, however you can put a slightly more subtle spin on it. Basicly you are taking over a resource, the actual people are worth nothing in the general scheme of your world domination. There is a tremondous feeling of success and power when oil from country that you manipulated the destruction of, is used to pay branches of your very own multinational cooperation to actually clean up the mess. Pure genius.

So what does this approach to world domination require. Mainly money. Money and clever people. You do not have to be particularly clever yourself (obviously this helps), but you do need to be a manipulative, single minded, devious bastard. So I guess you may actually need to be clever. The actual acquisition of the money required will preferably be done by other people. You will appreciate the power all the more if it is achieved off someone elses back.

Is there any computer games like this?

If computer games are getting more lifelike then I want to see a game like this :o)

• Advertisement
Advertisement