Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skateboards advice?

Options
  • 01-05-2003 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Whats a good decent starter deck? Where in Dublin would I buy one? How much should I pay?

am I too old? (29)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

go to g1 on o'connell street they'll sort you out

+ you're never too old for skateboarding

just look at tony hawk he's 30 something and all be it he's pro it shouldn't stop other ppl his age or around it to skate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just wondering, would the ones that are on sale (€25) in Lifestyle at the moment be any good for a beginner?

How much of a difference does it make for someone starting out; does having a shítty board stunt your progress in learning tricks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

If you are actually into skating and not just wanting to prick around then buy good stuff. G1 should be able to sort you out for under 130E with good quality gear. dont touch the crappy lifestlye ones unless you want to fall and die

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cool. But from reading through the posts on this board it appears that there's no official place to skate in Dublin at the moment.

Am I better off finding a spot of my own to practice or is there a skate scene to speak of? Is it possible to learn from a magazine and, if so, what one?

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

as far as i know there are parks in dublin and magazines help a bit but videos are better get urself to g1 and they'll sort you out no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Originally posted by bombidol
    If G1 should be able to sort you out for under 130E with good quality gear. dont touch the crappy lifestlye ones unless you want to fall and die

for god sake,if hes jus startin skatin he shuldnt spend 130 on a board, he mightnt even like skatin then what would he do
    borrow 1 from a mate or buy a really cheap 1 and see do u like it then get a decent board if u do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Actually €150 is a bit steep, but I'm sure I can get something cheaper. I don't really have any mates who skate (although I bet Devore has a deck somewhere) - I used to skate when I was a kid. Now that was on the thin little skateboards, the wide boards (/me waves walking-stick) became popular after Back to the Future but at that stage I had just discovered girls.

I've fogotten all the tricks I could do, and really don't want to roll my ankle like that but what the hell, I've recovered from worse.

Oh yes, where would I find good skateparks in Dublin or Co. Kildare? I do hope they haven't all closed due to 'insurance' reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

when did you discover girls??????
    AnyHoe, great outdoors have semi-decent boards for €50.
    G1 at oconnell bridge is teh best spot, or ask Cormac if he has one lying around?

I don't know where you can skate in city centre, you can try BOI HQ on baggot st if you fancy been told to fcuk off by BOI security, pretty nazi about it,
    you can borrow my wrist guards if you need them.
    DotC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

go here
    http://www.switchmagazine.com/skateparks/rampnraildublinireland.html

BTW yes you are to old to learn old tricks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by RogueDotC
    you can borrow my wrist guards if you need them.

Are you sure? Your wrists are pretty limp after all

I discovered girls when I was 10 or 11, you would have been oh, about 25 years old back then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Anyone seen those decks in Tubes (cork) that are going for €160? I think they're Flip or something?

Any good?

€160 for a deck u need to get to g1 jeez. i thought g1 were bad for prices but €160 that's insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Ya? That's a reduced price too! Down from like €240 or something?

Where would people recommend in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

160yoyo's?!?!
    I bought a flip deck in tubes(cork) not so long ago, twas 80 euro i think, in dublin now tho, got some trucks in g1, it's a nice shop alright, tubes is the best in cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I've also deceided to get back in with the cool (young people) and I bought a board today, paid €75 in Sake City in temple bar. Hopefully i don't kill myslelf trying to learn but whats the worst that can happen?

It's a renner board they guy recommended it because it's a strong board and me being a fat ****er (100kg on a good day) it shouldn't snap too easy.

Hopefully he didn't sell me a lemon, but if I don't don't get good really fast I'll know who to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

75euros for a deck or for a whole setup?
    a deck alone is normally more than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

It's a full set up even included free stickers ;).

The specs are (some of these don't make sense to me :))

31" x 7.75" Pro Profile
    9 Ply Canadian Maple
    Abec 5 Bearings
    Renner 135 Pro Trucks
    Black Widow Wheels
    Supersoft Risers
    95A Cushions.

Is it a lemon or a decent deal for a beginner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

It's ok FanJ, if your after bits and bobs and only starting out, drop me a pm, I usually have mates with old boards/wheels/trucks/bearings etc.
    A good deal of the lads on sponsorship give me some product for next to nothing too, I haven't bought anything in a skate shop in about 5yrs cus it's so god damn expensive....(and I'm a cheap **** :p

I won my last deck, traded pc help for new bearings (70E price tag for some nice bearings.....) my trucks were given to me, all my shoes are hand me downs, wheels given to me also.
    If I was to spend money in the shops buying my equipment, considering the rate at which I go through it, I'd be smashed, flat broke in zero time.

here's a quick break down on AVERAGE prices around this rip off island

Deck - 50-90 (depending who's name is on it and what company)
    Trucks - 25/30 each a pop (you need two)
    Wheels - 30-50 (as per deck)
    Bearings - 10E-70E
    Griptape - 10E
    bolts for trucks - 5-10E
    shoe's - 50-100E and over..

I would typically go through shoes once a month/two
    deck - as above
    trucks - year or two
    wheels - 6months-year
    bearings - 2/3yrs (only cus I got top of the line bearings..)

Skateparks in Dublin - Ramp 'N' Rail - 96A upper Drumcondra Road, next door to Breaks snooker hall, opposite the Skylon Hotel/Texaco Garage, near the Cat and Cage or the Ivy House pubs.

Ramp City (aka Cart city)
    Santry (somewhere on the Airport road, not sure cus I don't travel that far to get some exercise/fun in)

The above equipment useage applies to me skating on average 2/3 times a week for 2hrs+ each session up to 4/5hrs. When I was skating a lot more often when i had more time as a teen I went through equipment at an astronomical rate, including breaking 3 boards on the same day, breaking trucks, Kingpins, crushed bearings. Learning kickflips/other flippery will tear through your shoes in no time, a few days of kickflippin will have you looking for new shoes every 2 weeks-month...

ehehehe with the regards am I too old = Better late than never! :D

The oldest known skater at present is some guy named Bill Doran, he's 79 and loves cruising around the parks in the good ole u.s of a

Advertisement