Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Director General to quit

Options
  • 01-05-2003 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

From RTÉ News...

RTÉ's Director General to step down

The Director-General of RTÉ, Bob Collins, has announced his decision to step down in October, some months before his contract is due to end.

The RTÉ Authority said it was with regret that it accepted Mr Collins' decision to resign, but said the organisation and all who are committed to Irish public service broadcasting were in his debt.

Mr Collins joined RTÉ in 1975 and has held a number of posts, including Director of Television and Director of Corporate Affairs.

He was appointed Director General in 1997.

The RTÉ Authority says it will advertise the post in the immediate future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno if him going is good or bad, despite being from the programme making side of RTE as opposed to being a "suit" Collins always stuck me as a pen-pusher first. I dont recall any great strides having been made vis-a-vis
    original drama or indeed anything very original - just lots of reheated formats from elsewhere...Still he'd blame that on the licence fee not going up in his time (until recently)

I see one of the front-runners to replace Collins is ex-Ryanair! Does this mean everyones heading for a wage cut and a licence rebate!? ;) More seriously
    the list of likely successors is pretty dismal, Helen Shaw, Cathal Goan, Conor Hayes, Adrian Moynes and Ed Mulhall all of whom, except for Hayes who's a bean counter, have a strong radio/current affairs background.
    So not much chance of any interesting policy changes
    as regards TV programming then.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't Know, think Cathal Goan would be a good successor but then I thought he would Improve RTE because of his work on TnaG. However I think Cathal Goan is still better left as head of TV Programming.
    So not much chance of any interesting policy changes
    as regards TV programming then.

You also have to realise that RTE is more than just TV.

Advertisement