Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss nuclear referendum

Options
  • 01-05-2003 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought this might be of interest to some here.

Later this month, Switzerland will have a referendum. Its a pretty common occurrence.

However, some of the items on the ballot are partocularly interesting : most notably the two motions to phase out nuclear power in Switzerland - one within 40 years, and one within 30 years.

Yes, that seems like a slow time, but hey - they need to locate and build the replacement generators, and there are 6 or 7 of them to be replaced.

Now here's the reason I'm posting....I'm wondering what the Swiss should use instead?

They already have extensive hydro capability, and any additional large-scale hydro generation will involve building artificial resevoirs - in effect flooding some areas of unspoiled natural beauty.

The could use wind-power or solar-power, except again, this will involve building large generation farms in the relatively unspoiled mountain regions (mostly the Alps and the Jura).

Its an interesting decision to make.

While I am vehemently anti-nuclear (to date), all of the "green" solutions have very real non-green costs associated with them, so I'm just wondering what people would generally feel about it.

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

However, some of the items on the ballot are partocularly interesting : most notably the two motions to phase out nuclear power in Switzerland - one within 40 years, and one within 30 years.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this means that in 'any' case the Swiss will be rid of Nuclear power in 40 years, which is really great news.

Personally if it comes down to a choice between 'ugly' windfarms and artificial resivoirs or Atomic, I'd choose spoiling of the country side, before all the potential nastiness of Nuclear power stations.

Chernobyl being the prime example, only now seventeen years later is the real extent of the disaster becoming evident.

I think the Swiss should be commended for having the guts to make the move away from Nuclear power, when some nations notably the British, Americans, Japanese, Russians and despite Chernobyl Ukranians, seem utterly glued to Nuclear, despite the costs, the danger and the dirtiness of Atomic energy in it's current incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Hey bonkey, can you post a link on that info......I cna't seem to findng anything on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

so is nuclear power definitely going in switzerland or is that just two options on the referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Type & Data - its not definite that it goes.

There are two relevant items on the ballot :

1) Should we require the phasing out of all nuke stations within 30 years. Yes/No

1) Should we require the phasing out of all nuke stations within 40 years. Yes/No

(They are not so simply worded, but you see the idea).

The public can refuse both options. However, I think it will pass, as it was an incredibly tight vote previously, sentiment has grown against nuclear power since then.

Keeks - no clue where there are links. You'll find some probably on www.admin.ch (which has english sections).

The initiatives (the two votes) are generally termed " MoratoriumPlus" and "Strom ohne Atom", so if you speak Deutsch, and/or can live with on-line translation software, you'll find some info by doing the relevant searches I'm sure.

jc

Advertisement