Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for information

Options
  • 29-04-2003 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Im just wondering if there is anyone there who could help me out by telling me if there is any ju jitsu classes going on in Sligo town. I saw a sign there a few weeks ago with some information. As im in college at the moment I was wondering if anyone in the area at the moment could tell me any information about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

i DUNNO BUT THERES MOST LIKELY A WEBSITE AND ALL CLUBS HAVE TO BE REGISTERED TO A CENTRAL BODY.!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

There IS a martial arts governing body in this country, the Irish Martial Arts Comission, but membership for the moment is not obligatory.

As a result of this and the general martial arts culture which exists in Ireland there are plenty of cowboys all over the country running clubs with very dubious credentials.

There may well be 'jujutsu' or 'taijutsu' clubs in Sligo but make sure that they are actually what you are looking for. Authentic jujutsu is like golddust. There is in place a far more regulated system of national organisations for things like Judo, Aikido, Karate styles and whatnot.

Good questions to ask you prospective jujutsu or taijutsu instructor are:-

- What ryu or style are you? (jujutsu is a generic term and is not specific)
    - Who was your instructor?
    - How long have you been teaching?
    - Where are your grades ratified? I.e where did they come from- an legitimate japanese or even european teacher and organisation, or did you print them at home on your deskjet or buy them from an internet company?

If they have trouble answering the first question then it is likely their 'jujutsu' is a mish-mash of other more common martial arts. This does not mean it is BAD, but does make it almost certain that it is not a legitimate jujutsu ryu of japanese origin.

More crucial questions are where their teaching credentials come from, their level of experience, whether they are insured or not (!) and whether their students know their asses from their elbows.

Good luck.

Advertisement