Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to all building a house in Galway city

Options
  • 28-04-2003 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I spoke to an architect at the weekend he told me new planning restrictions were coming into force in May. These restrictions will apply to applications within an 11 mile radius of Eyre Square.

Galway Co Council don't even know what the restrictions will be yet but they will be harsh (ideas so far PP given only to sites that are given to sons/daughters of land owner ect. Also you have to reside in the home for 10 years before it can be sold <---- please note only speculation).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

as far as i'm aware you have to be from the west in order to build in the west...dunno much else about it. most of the planning laws and regulations are BS anyways. be sure to check out www.pleanala.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

there's too many farmers growing houses all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was under the impression that this planning change was to apply only to the Gaeltacht areas to the West of Galway, due to the influx of non Irish speakers into the area and their negative effects on the usage of the language.

I see no valid reason for similar rules all over the city (unless property developers have gotten their evil hands on it ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

well the west of the city is now infringing on the Gaeltacht, and they've found that only a very small percentage of the population in that area on the edge of the Gaeltacht speak fluent irish. i think they might be planning to rezone some of the Gaeltacht.

but i'm open to corection on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    as far as i'm aware you have to be from the west in order to build in the west...dunno much else about it. most of the planning laws and regulations are BS anyways. be sure to check out www.pleanala.ie

That be from the west to build in the west stuff is rubbish. I know plenty of people around here from other parts of the country and other parts of the world who are building around here.

And they cannot discriminate against people who do not already own land in an area as this would get them in all kinds of legal tangles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    That be from the west to build in the west stuff is rubbish. I know plenty of people around here from other parts of the country and other parts of the world who are building around here.

And they cannot discriminate against people who do not already own land in an area as this would get them in all kinds of legal tangles.

I think you might be surprised when the new planning regulations come out. As I said my source is an Architect in the Galway region.

Also my GF was telling me a guy in her work group built a house in Headford and the planning restriction was he could not sell it !!! I shít you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think Daveg has his facts arseways. The new County Development Plan came into effect last week, which imposes certain restrictions on building homes within a fifteen kilometre radius of the city centre.

It will basically prevent you from gettin PP for a traditional 'one-off' rural house close to the city, unless it is on family land, and you are a member of that family, in which case, there is a stronger possibility of you getting PP. Apparently, it's to allow smaller rural towns and villages to develop in tandem with the city????

To say that the County Council have no idea what the restrictions will be is, well, bollocks. You may have trouble in getting through to the planning office (509133) because of the thousands of applications that were submitted in the past month with people trying to get PP under the old Development Plan, but the staff there are certainly au fait with the new regs.

As for someone suggesting the Bord Pleanala site? Why?

As for the gaeltacht query, if you are in the city in a Gaeltacht area (towards Terryland or west past Knocknacarra), your fluency in Irish will be tested before you can get PP for a new house, again unless your family is from that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1. Restrictions are in the County not the City and within 15Km of Eyre Square.
    2. These restrictions have been in for years due West of the city, they are now being widened ALL AROUND the city for 15 KM or so.
    3. No planner working for Galway County Council has a word of Irish, they conduct all their business in English so the Gaeltacht rules are and will be a farce as before.
    4. No changes have been made to the City Develpopment plan as yet, due next year,. There are no planning related issues involving the Irish language in the City.
    5. The big farce is that "Housing Need" prequalification been left with the planners, it should have been taken off the pircks years ago and given to the Housing Department to decide upon.
    6. The issue with not being allowed to sell is a non issue with genuine individuals who want to permanently live in an area, I have no problem with 15 year inurement clauses for genuine cases to stop speculators.
    7. Try to get the same Galway County Council Planners to enforce Fraudulent Compliance Certificates issued by their buddies. This is one of the most corrupt aspects of Galway County Council. One bitch in there refused to force someone to comply with planning conditions until threatened with the High Court. Thats because a buddy of hers with a house design practice had issued a legal certificate to say that the Applicant had fully complied with planning permission when in fact they had not. The planner had deliberately not checked that the compliance was accurate.

M

Advertisement