Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BG2: ToB problem, help? please?

Options
  • 28-04-2003 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭

I got BG2 of a friend, have installed it and have got to level 11 (I havent got playing it much because of this problem), however Ive had it for about a month or two and have been dieing to play it all this time, but everytime I enter any area in the city, it restarts at random interval's, it only does it in the city though it seems, as I can be roaming the questing area's for hours on end tidying up quests that I get. However in the city it restarts within 20minutes usually, I can usually deter it by quicksaving religiously (literally every 25-30 seconds) and pausing it every other second which can buy me time, but you cant do this in a conversation, which is where the fun begins.
    Im currently trying to get to Keldon in the temple district (im just after losing nalia) to finish off my squad, but every time I start running there I get caught by the cult of the eyeless speech (long bugger off a thing) but even when I skip it as quickly as possable it will still have restarted before I get another chance to save! help! As currently I cant do sod all in the temple district because of these buggers. This problem also happened in Warcraft 3 but I never got it solved (and is why I never finished the campaign in it).
    I realy need this problem fixed because I love the game but this is driving me insane so I hardly ever play it (usually once a day until it restarts on me). Im running an Athlon 1000mhz with a GF3 Ti300 and 512meg SD RAM, so my computer is more than capable of running the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did you get the latest patch?? Did you google the problem? What OS?

Try here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

1. try newest nvidia-drivers
    2. try old nvidia-drivers
    3. try directx9
    4. try directx8

what OS do you have? what detonator-version? what directx-version? any other special hardware in your machine? overheating-problem (CPU/GPU)?

more details are needed.

cya
    - Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Yes saruman Im patched to the b*llocks, I needed it for the 'such and such appears busy, cannot initiate diaglogue'. Im running winXP with Direct x9, no over heating problems, 41.09 detonators.

Pug did you try that link? more specifically the one about clearing the cache? Could be dodgy cache so when city loads its arsed... clear the cache forcing all the game data to start again from scratch.. will take a few seconds longer to load but might fix the prob.

I had a good read of it Saru, unfortunately none of them problems are even close to what Im getting, mine crash's at random intervals, not when I load an area (the cache thing), and it doesnt freeze, which is what most of them things fix, it just instantly restarts my computer, no questions, no blue screen, just boots her up again.

I tried emailing their tech support, hopefully Ill get an answer back (and fix it once and for all *cross's fingers*).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What operating system do you have?

W2K/NT/XP have an option by default to boot in the event of a system error. You can switch this off (although from experience of XP Home Piece of S**T I only recommend you do this with W2K and possibly NT).

Right click my computer and select properties. Select the last tab (or advanced in XP) and click startup and recovery button. There is a checkbox option to automatically reboot on system failure.

If you want to see the errors (which may or may not help) right click My computer and select Manage. Go to Event viewer and look for error messages.

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Im running winXP with Direct x9, no over heating problems, 41.09 detonators.
    But for some reason that was off by default, hmm, wierd.

Pug, does it restart the game?? Or your whole computer???

Whole comp :confused:

Oh i thought it was just the game, or maybe the level... That shows the prob in a whole new light..

So the auto reboot was unticked then? And you dont get a blue screen? What about event viewer? Anything in there?

• Advertisement

So the auto reboot was unticked then? And you dont get a blue screen? What about event viewer? Anything in there?
    correct, correct, but whats event viewer?

Go to administrative tools either in control panel or your start menu (if you have it set to show) and pick event viewer.. or computer managment then event viewer.

I have a LOT of 'application pop up' in my system events, is there any way I could turn them off (I get alot of pop ups and its kind of annoying as it exits me from most games, albiet off topic).

And in application theres also a lot of 'application hang', which doesnt sound too good.

But I really dont know what Im looking for in here.

Something that looks like its obviously related.. i cant help much more than that. check the times of the system messages and see if they relate to when bg restarted.

Advertisement