Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had €5m

Options
  • 22-04-2003 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

If you had €5m, what public transport changes would you implement?

Note:
    a bus costs about €100,000
    a DART / Suburban train car €1,000,000
    a simple suburban train station (on level ground, with site available) €500,000
    a simple foot bridge (complete) €100,000
    a taxi (complete) €30,000
    convert a level crossing to a separated crossing €1,000,000+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Doesn't €100,000 seem like very little for a bus?

Anyway, I'd but a fleet of 40+ new buses to improve Cork's currently pathetic public transport. I don't even live there but it always strikes me the bus service is poor compared to similarly sized European cities.

40 more buses wouldn't be much but at least they'd be a start.

Jer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

use the €5 million as a security payment to lease 30-50 railcars from a leasing agent such asw Porterbrook or Angle Trains and collect fares from the pasengers to service the leasing agreement - just like EVERY OTHER RAILWAY OPERATOR IN EUROPE DOES EXCEPT IRISH RAIl...oh no, they have to go out a tender, order and wait for new untested trains take three years to deliver.

Or they could buy seconhand units from the UK (virgin have loads of recently refurbished mk111 coaches and move the wheels out a few inches so they can run on Irish railways.

Loads of trains could be brought to Ireland and in service in a few weeks for less than €5 million - the way IE do things is not the normal way. Nobody else buys trains anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

If I had €5million do you think I would spend it on public transport, I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Spend the €100k on Porterstown station, and the rest on rollong stock for that line, all so I can get the train to work.

Oh, might as well move Broombridge station closer to work and put in a new footbridge to suit.

Nice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

>Oh, might as well move Broombridge station closer to work and >put in a new footbridge to suit.

are you sure about this?

http://www.platform11.org/vandals.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by sligoliner
    >Oh, might as well move Broombridge station closer to work and >put in a new footbridge to suit.

are you sure about this?

I only work her, I don't own it. Besides closer to here is further for the scumbags to walk

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Personally, I would go for:

A station on Grange road in Baldoyle (northern suburban / DART) - €500,000.
    A station at Merrion Gates (DART) - €500,000.
    Build platform 8 at Connolly Station (at turntable / water tank and over CERT car park) and create an exit onto Seville Row - €3,000,000.
    Provide 10 buses to provide a direct link between Charlemont Mall Luas station and Heuston Station €1,000,000.

Advertisement