Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Proficiency Test

Options
  • 17-04-2003 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Online Irish Proficiency Test spéisiúil anseo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Níl an nasc sin ag obair.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

Gabh mo leithscéal, a Ghael, níl fhíos agam cén fáth nach raibh an nasc sin ag obair. Tá súil agam go bhfuil sé ag obair go maith anois:
    http://www.transparent.com/tlquiz/proftest/irish/tliritest.htm

Ah ha! Tá fhíos agam anois. Chuir mé http:// faoi dhó ar an nasc. Tá na dhá nasc ag obair anois.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Despite not having done Irish since the leaving (eight years ago) I achieved the level of advanced beginner.

48% overall.

64% on section one, 28% on section two and 50% in each of the last two sections.

Maith an fear. Tá féith na teanga agat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Shocked I got so high :eek:

You are at the Advanced Intermediate level.
    You scored 112 points out of 150.
    You scored 74% overall.

PART I: Grammar
    You scored 28 points out of 45.
    You scored 62% on this section.

PART II: Grammar
    You scored 34 points out of 45.
    You scored 75% on this section.

PART III: Vocabulary
    You scored 20 points out of 30.
    You scored 66% on this section.

PART IV: Reading Comprehension
    You scored 30 points out of 30.
    Congratulations! You had a perfect score!

Shocked I got so high

Sin an fhadhb mhór sa tír seo maidir le Gaeilge, a Dhún do Bhéal. Ceapann beagnach gach Éireannach go bhfuil a gcuid Gaeilge níos measa ná mar atá sí, rud a chuireann lag-mhisneach orthu í a labhairt.
    Tá Gaeilge mhaith agat. Glac le sin!;)
    Bheadh sé suimiúil triail a bhaint as seo le duine atá ag déanamh na hArdteiste. D'fhéadfaidís an scrúdú seo a dhéanamh agus teacht ar ais chugainn lena thorthaí ón Ardteist níos déanaí le hiad a chur i gcomparáid lena chéile. An bhfuil suim ag aon duine ansin sa turgnamh seo?

That's the big problem with Irish in this country Dún do Bhéal. Almost every Irish person reckons their Irish is worse than it really is, which discourages them from speaking it.
    You have good Irish. Accept it! ;)
    It'd be interesting to get a person doing the Leaving to do the test. They could do this test and then come back to us after the Leaving results come out to compare their two scores. Anyone interested in such an experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I got 55%, Dismal.

Sin onóir! Níl sé sin ró-dhona. (Bet you understand that)
    Read what I said at the start of my previous post ballooba. You'd probably be able to read the Irish version if you tried.

The real question is, did everone manage 100% in the English proficiency test that's on the same site? You'd be surprised.

Ag caint faoi an Ardteist, rinne mise é sé mbliana déag o shin - rinne mé an Ghaeilge bunleibhéal agus fuair mé í by the skin of me teeth Bhuel, caithfidh mé a rá nach raibh go leor leor Gaeilge agam, ná spéis don theanga ach oiread.
    Cúpla bliain o shin, áfach, tar eis a bheith i mo chónaí mórán bliaina anseo san Spáinn thosaigh mé an teanga a fhóghlaim arís. Ansin chuaigh mé go dtí Oideas Gael i dTír Chonaill anuaridh (gabh mo leithscéal má bhfuil fogriocht a dheanamh don scoil sin, níl sé seo an céad am go luaigh (?) mé an áit sin ar an forum seo..)
    Ar aon chaoi, thit mé i mo ghrá le an teanga, agus anois cé go bhfuil mé anseo thar sálle go fóill déanann mé rud beag beagnach gach cúpla lá. Rachfaidh mé ar ais go hÉirinn go luath agus déanfaidh mé i bhfad nios mó nuair a mbeidh mé ansiúd arís.

F*(!), anyway - so what I was trying to say was:
    Speaking of the Leaving, I did it sixteen years ago - I did pass Irish and got it by the skin of my teeth (there's probably a grand expression for that in Irish...) Well, I have to say I didn't have much Irish, nor was I very interested in it. However, a couple of years ago after a good few years living here in Spain I started studying the language again. Then last summer I went to Oideas Gael in Doegal and did an intensive course (excuse me if I'm advertising that school, this isn't the first time I've mentioned it on this forum...
    Anyway, I fell in love with the language there and now although I'm still abroad I study a bit of Irish every couple of days or so. I'm moving back to Ireland soon and I'll do alot more when I'm there again.

So, even if you were crap at Irish at school just doing a little bit evry now and again it's amazing how much you can learn. Of course it helps that you're not being forced to do it - but it's a beautiful language to get into.

Btw, I got 66% in the proficiency test - very poor grammar, though I sort of understood the mistakes I made, which is how you learn, and good vocab and reading comprehension.

I won't be offended if anyone correct my Irish above, of course :D
    ... and if anyone knows how to say "by the skin of my teeth"...
    we can trade expressions; I came across a nice one last night for to say you're in two minds about something:

"Tá mé idir dhá thine bhealtaine."

A Ghael, btw,
    go raibh maith agat le an nath cainte sin,féith na teanga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just did english and french.
    So my scores now are ::

Gaeilge :: 55%
    English :: 94%
    French :: 48%

Which is dissapointing because French is my favourite language and best subject at L.C. (A2-2001).

Grammar let me down in french.

Pleased with the result in irish but should be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 reimo

Originally posted by Gael
    Sin an fhadhb mhór sa tír seo maidir le Gaeilge, a Dhún do Bhéal. Ceapann beagnach gach Éireannach go bhfuil a gcuid Gaeilge níos measa ná mar atá sí, rud a chuireann lag-mhisneach orthu í a labhairt.
    Tá Gaeilge mhaith agat. Glac le sin!;)

Fíor ina hiomlán. Tá mé i mo chónaí le lad a deireann nach bhfuil focail aige. Tháinig sé ar ais ón ollscoil aréir agus thosnaigh sé ag labht gaeilge. Ní dhearna sé botún ar bith!
    Tá sé go léir in intinn na ndaoine! Tá go leor daoine sa tír gur féidir leo gaeilge maith a labhairt- an fadbh na nach chreideann siad é seo, agus nach bhfuil aon áis acu cleachtadh a dhéanamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

oh man i only got 43%. And i like to think im good at irish? I think its just my grammer. And me doing my leaving next year!
    Argh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This forum moderator (me!) got 64% overall.

Again, it was the grammar that brought me down. I got just under 90% in the other parts.

Mar mise féin a Bard! Theip mé ar an ghramadach ach bhaint mé 66% amach as ar aon chaoi. Anois, ba cheart againn dul ar ais go an tástáil agus learn from our mistakes - except I didn't understand some of the mistakes :rolleyes: :mad:
    Sílim gur gá dom ranganna Gaeilge aríst!

BTW any recommendations for cúrsaí réasunta saor i mBÁC? Beidh mé i mo chónaí ansiúd go luath. Feicim go bhfuil go leor leor áiteanna mar sin san ardchathair, (Sult, Gael Linn, UCD etc...) ach an bhfuil cleachtadh leo ag daoine éigin anseo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I got 85%, so I'm relatively pleased.

However, can someone please tell me:

(So as not to spoil the answer for anyone doing the quiz:
    What the HELL does "Chan fhuil fhios agam" mean? (see Q5 in grammar section)
    )

Is this some regional thing? It's not Connemara Irish, I don't think... then again, there are some other words I'm going to have to look up in a dictionary - "oirirc" and "scaifte".

Can anyone help fill these gaps in my vocabulary?
    Cheers,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

That's (above post) not Munster Irish either, so I'm guessing Donegal:)

It's a bit silly putting something so obscure in a proficiency test though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

It means 'I don't know'

Cha(n) denotes the negative in Donegal Irish (Gaedhilg).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Zaphod
    It means 'I don't know'

Cha(n) denotes the negative in Donegal Irish (Gaedhilg).

Aah. /me makes a mental note... (you don't hear that sort of thing in Connemara :D)

Thanks,
    Gadget

Advertisement