Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80s Ireland (pop culture)

Options
  • 16-04-2003 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

When thinking back about 80's pop culture, it is almost exclusively stuff from England and the USA.

What Irish stuff do you remember from waaaaay back then? Or did we not have much in that department?

I can recall:

* Zig and Zag / Dempsey's Den
    * Bosco
    * Wanderley Wagon
    * Jo Maxi :rolleyes:
    * Brendan Grace's "Safe Cross Code" with Patch the dog
    * Johnny Logan's terrible Eurovision 80s outfits
    * Pat Ingoldsby's psychedelic TV shows for kids :p

Any more? Do tell!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

TvGaga which got pulled due to political interference.
    That great music prog Dave Hefernan presented , was it sight and sounds.. 5.30pm either saturdays or week.cant remember but it was cool.
    The 2 punks that used to be in his audience that had Golden Disks in Liffey st. anyone?? Oh and Advance Records in st kings st opp joke shop..
    Virgin Prunes and anyone ever "Do the Rat" ??

JoMaxi, there was a chick with brown hair who looked like Bill Wyman>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Action Station Saturday on saturday mornings
    then there was pajo dont know what kind of creature he was though

back when they used to do the hotline on both television and radio around christmas

MTUSA dont know if that was a n irish programme but it had an irish presenter vincent hanley

Action Station Saturday on saturday mornings

back when they used to do the hotline on both television and radio around christmas

MTUSA dont know if that was a n irish programme but it had an irish presenter vincent hanley

then theres was 40 coats with 50 pockets and slightly bonkers forget the name ofthe programme though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That craft show with your "here's one i made earlier" wan.

All those god awful Tir Na Nog/Chuchulainn plastacene things. The animation in those was appaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

It's mostly TV that we recall, innit?

Were there any pop fads / clothing fads / other non-TV things that people remember (specific to Ireland)?

Hmmmm - seems like a tough question to me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What about "Anything Goes" with Mary Fitzgerald and Fungus McAnally ??

Originally posted by TmB
    What about "Anything Goes" with Mary Fitzgerald and Fungus McAnally ??

Ah yes I remember that show. An*s Smackananny and his ker-azy colour-mismatched shoes.

I recall that he loved to do card tricks on that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Does "Sean's Show" with sean hughes count?
    Late eighties version of the "gary shandling show"

That was made in the UK and shown on C4. Loved it, though -totally surreal. I'd love to see it again......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Anyone remember "Number 1"? It was a music quiz show, sort of like "Never Mind The Buzzcocks" and it used to be on at 7 o' clock of a Wednesday evening on Network 2 (or RTE 2, as it was still called back then, I think!).

Dave Fanning and Ian Dempsey were the team captains (I think - bit hazy on this). They had regular team members in the shape of Joe Elliot from Def Leppard and Brush Shiels (once again, I'm a bit hazy on whether Brush Shiels was a regular team member but I think he was. I definitely remember Joe Elliot being one. Let's face it, who could forget an 80's rocker poodle-perm like that one! :D) and then there would be a third 'guest' team member on each team. There used to be a big, neon board behind the presenter which would chart each team's rise up the 'chart' from 40 to No. 1. I can't remember the presenter exactly but something in the back of my mind makes me think it was Andy Ruane (remember him! :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I've described this programme as best I can. Please tell me someone else remembers it and that I'm not going mad! :D

• Advertisement

Jesus yeah, I remember. Joe and Brush were team captains, I think..... It wasn't a bad show :)

Speaking of Ian Dempsey, anyone remember Talkabout? Now THATS a blast from the past. Watchable, but in a car-crash kind of way ! :D

- Dave.

Heres one for you... What was the name of the irish language (sketch?) show from the 80s? It had Frank Kelly in a phonebox at the end with lots of weird shit happening in the background.... He'd be speaking Irish, but throwing in english sentences now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by TmB
    Speaking of Ian Dempsey, anyone remember Talkabout? Now THATS a blast from the past. Watchable, but in a car-crash kind of way ! :D

As the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons" might say, "Worst quizshow ever!"

I remember Ian Dempsey did maybe two series of it, then it was scrapped, then brought back a couple of years later with that gay fella that does the weather on Ireland AM presenting it (what's his name - Andy Hughes? Something like that!) and then scrapped for good after that series. Thank God! :rolleyes:

Here's another blast from the past. Does anybody remember "Murphy's Micro Quiz"? Mike Murphy presented it and some former Miss Ireland was the eye-candy for the lads on the show. It was based around families having to play various computer games. Needless to say, the kids were great at them but the parents where $hite beyond belief!

And one more. "The Beatbox." Music show that used to be on of a Sunday morning on Network 2 (the precursor to the '90's "2TV"). It used to be broadcast simultaneously on the telly and on 2FM. This was so you could, as they used to say themselves, "Watch the music videos and listen to them in stereo sound on 2FM." These TV/radio simulcasts were a pretty big deal at the time because stereo TV's weren't around at that time (or were only beginning to appear on the market) and it was the only way you could watch a music video and listen to it in stereo at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

What was the name of the irish language (sketch?) show from the 80s? It had Frank Kelly ***

Easy that was Anois is Airis or something, 1982 era alright.The Horror of 6th class and endless irish lessons...
    Youngline. Conor McAnally di it too altho he went posh and runs his own company then.
    Anyone remember those crap Quinnsworth commercials with Maurice etc.. Any my sister said yesterday "Scrumptious, Pink Butter Icing".. 80s Stork ads and what was the other one Satzenbraw,, ok Im off topic, sorry..

Originally posted by telecinesk
    Anyone remember those crap Quinnsworth commercials with Maurice etc.. Any my sister said yesterday "Scrumptious, Pink Butter Icing

Maurice Pratt: "Now that's ..... real value!"

God bless Quinnsworth Yellow Pack. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Bands like, Light A Big Fire "If I was the CIA", Auto Da Fe, Blades, A House, Waterboys, "Minor Detail", "Those Nervous Animals", "Micro Disney" etc.

There was an RTE programme that used to interview people like Duran Duran, Spandu Ballet, Howard Jones etc.

i remember morris prat and I remember the TV bingo competition they had each week you got different coloured cards with your shopping and if you won you could win a tirip to rome sad memory or what

then there were the pirates

sunshine 101
    q 102
    energy 103

where as down the country we had to listen to john the man with his sammy sunshine and charlie cloud on radio luimnai

anyone remember john the mans car the galloping maggot

anyone remember the first lottery tickets that came out in the eighties

instant 3 windfall and extra chance

ah back when people genuinly believed that when you spun the wheel it wasn't rigged lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

Originally posted by fcddunne

Pajo's Junkbox was the name of the first 'series', after that they went into some desert island or something...He was a rat, i think !

I can vaguely remember it had these two puppets called Peg and Peadar :)

Originally posted by Andor
    Pajo's Junkbox was the name of the first 'series', after that they went into some desert island or something...He was a rat, i think !

I can vaguely remember it had these two puppets called Peg and Peadar :)

And two human stooges called 'Fetchit' and 'Grabit' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Just to brag. My girlfriend's dad IS Fortycoats!!

Or was at least. Fran Dempseyis his name. Did the 'Live Mike' with Mike Murphy of all people. Famous for tripping Gay Byrne up on a candid camera style moment. Still funny to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

Originally posted by Belle Ende

And two human stooges called 'Fetchit' and 'Grabit' ?
    oh! yea, actually. you scare me even more than I do.

Originally posted by Gaffo

My girlfriend's dad IS Fortycoats!!

i wish i knew somebody famous.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

it had to be anything goes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Gina Dale Haze and the Champions

the world's most sophisticated and inovative band ever begob!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone remember "Number 1"? It was a music quiz show, sort of like "Never Mind The Buzzcocks" and it used to be on at 7 o' clock of a Wednesday evening on Network 2 (or RTE 2, as it was still called back then, I think!).

Dave Fanning and Ian Dempsey were the team captains (I think - bit hazy on this). They had regular team members in the shape of Joe Elliot from Def Leppard and Brush Shiels (once again, I'm a bit hazy on whether Brush Shiels was a regular team member but I think he was. I definitely remember Joe Elliot being one. Let's face it, who could forget an 80's rocker poodle-perm like that one! :D) and then there would be a third 'guest' team member on each team. There used to be a big, neon board behind the presenter which would chart each team's rise up the 'chart' from 40 to No. 1. I can't remember the presenter exactly but something in the back of my mind makes me think it was Andy Ruane (remember him! :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I've described this programme as best I can. Please tell me someone else remembers it and that I'm not going mad! :D
    Yes,I remember that show well.The third guests would be secondary school kids,one of whoem was my cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Holy zombie reincarnation Batman, a nine year old thread. :D

Here's a rare Irish techno band video from the 80's:

vektarman wrote: »
    Holy zombie reincarnation Batman, a nine year old thread. :D

Here's a rare Irish techno band video from the 80's:
    I remember seeing that on the telly just once off.1983,I feel old now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Holy zombie reincarnation Batman, a 13-year-old thread.:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This thread reminds me how grim it was for my cousins who only had rte in the house through the 1980s.

• Advertisement

Was that not a British programme?BTW I thought yer man being interviewed by the puppet about the painting was yer man from the band Yello at first,he's the bulb off him.

Hang on what am I saying?:its is him.

Advertisement