Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Some info and Questions

Options
  • 15-04-2003 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Well to start of here is the info....
    I had failed my line test initially. But recently when I rang them up for the new service, I was just told today that my line has passed the test but only for the i-starter /via networks service. Apparently my house was too far from the exchange for the old service but is ok for this one. So I'd advise everyone who failed a line test before to not despair and try again as you may pass this time!

Secondly on to the questions!

If I choose to buy my own modem (no fecking way am I forking over 150 euro to eircon) then what do I say to the guy in the shop?

I have 2 USB ports at the back and Win 98 second edition on a Dell Dimnsion 4100.
    I've read a lot of posts on this and the broadbands forums about modems and ppaoe and ppaoa and all this wierd stuff that makes absolutely no sense to a newbie like me.

I want to know, if I go into a shop and ask for an ADSL modem for USB port that works with my PC/operating system, will that suffice? Or do I need to ask for something more? I would be really greatful if someone could give me a simple clear answer about this instead of the techincal jargon that seems to dominate most ADSL modem discussions :)

Lastly, I'm still debating weather to go for Eircon or Via, the whole domain name thing is a bit annoying tbh, but I don't wanna fork over any more cash to eircon. Via does have a two month contact, but I mean I don't really have 200+ euro to throw around on installation every two months so I probably will stay with the network i connect to for a WHILE atleast :)

BTW FYI, i've noted ppl on the boards saying that WITHOUT the domain name its 45 euro + VAT, thats wrong....

Its actually 55 EURO + VAT WITHOUT the domain name, so like 63 euro INC VAT. But right now there is no option to get the service without the domain name.

Or its 63 Euro + VAT WITH the domain name = 75 Euro per month.

Atleast this is the information I gather from speaking to Nicola at Via Networks half an hour ago.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

it is €55 euro plus VAT at 21% for DSL WITH domain name. I've had 2 emails from Nicola this morning confirming this. Its €81.99 + 21%VAT for self install option.

Please see copy of second email received from Nicola this morning/afternoon(i've already posted copy of the first email in another thread already)

Hi xxxx,

The total cost for the rate adaptive package is 55 euro per month (Ex VAT) and this price also includes a domain name.
    VAT is charged at 21%

The installation cost is EX VAT

Kind Regards,

Nicola Ryan

Netsource
    Ph: 01 4336032
    Fax: 01 4336075
    Mailto: nryan@netsource.ie
    Original Message

Sent: 15 April 2003 12:32
    To: nryan@vianetworks.ie
    Subject: RE: RADSL

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. Is the domain name registration €10 per month or €10 for the year? Also I take it all these prices quoted are exclusive of VAT? What VAT rates are charged on this product, e.g. install/ monthly subscription?

Thanks,

xxxx

Advertisement