Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIA - Domain name €10 +VAT per month?

Options
  • 15-04-2003 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

According to the order form STaN got from Via in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91312&pagenumber=1
    one could order NETSOURCE Home DSL for €45 + VAT per month.

This offer appears to have ceased as of yesterday/today - now one can only order NETSOURCE Business Broadband SOHO - still €45 + VAT, but with a €10 + VAT domain name charge also (per month).

I know this is still cheap for uncapped DSL, but does anyone else think it's somewhat of a scam? I get domain names for $10 per year. I don't want one of their domain names (that they get for pretty much nothing, I'm sure).

According to Nicola Ryan, of Via, it's because they are "primarily a business ISP". I think it's because domain names are money for old rope, and they just realized forcing you to get a domain gives them nice, easy dough.

What do any others think of this? It's put me right off Via, I have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I think its ridiculous to be honest. Why should you be forced to get a domain name if you purchase an entirely seperate product?
    Does buying a domain name suddenly make you a corporate customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

as far as i can see it's just a special offer, you don't have to buy a domain name from them but you will then have to pay higher for just the dsl connection, so if i have to pay €10 a year for a €45 monthly account then i am willing to do so.

(that is as soon as i get a well paying job & pay off my big ericom bill :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Dont forget to add VAT to that Trebor, will work out closer to €70 in total. To rich for my blood and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

its not €10 a year. it's €10 euro a month (ex vat) extra. €120 (ex vat a year for a domain name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Sorry lads,
    I think its actually E10 A MONTH every month
    At least thats the impression i get
    therefore it works out at E66.66 every month uncapped
    Still way better than eircom IMO.

• Advertisement

Hmm, well i say i will still go for it and only becasue it is the cheapest uncapped service that is going in my area. I don't want to be online and counting time or megabytes as i am a heavy user and 2 other people would use it as well (without sharing the bill i might add :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

I agree, I will more than likely go with VIA, purely because of the no cap. But being forced to register for a service I have no intrest in or have no need to use is the point that I and other people are trying to make.

i am sure that the domain names cost little or nothing to via and they have just put in the package so that they can mark down the price of dsl to make it seem that their dsl prices are cheaper than they appear to be, basic marketing. if they got rid of the domain name then the price of dsl would still be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

They only changed this yesterday when I rang up and found a loophole
    they changed the service ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Yup you have to pay extra regarless of whether you want the domain or not. so 55+vat. Kinda ruined their product. Would of got it instantly if 45 +vat, might still get it though. No cap = excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Yes, shine has come off a little but it's only a two month contract, so if UTV come in, you have options...:rolleyes:

Advertisement