Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America

Options
  • 14-04-2003 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Ill be heading off to South America in September. Flying into Buenos Aires and then travelling all the way up to Rio de Janeiro passing through villages/cities/towns and tredging through jungles.

Does anyone have experience with any of this? What type of shots would I require, things to watch out for, etc etc.

Any help is very much appreciated.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Yeh I was thinking about going to one of those football matches.

I follow South American football a fair bit. I cud go to a game in the Murumbi (150,000 capacity!!) in Rio too. There are loads of club teams based in Rio, and it has its own State Championship League thing during part of the football season.

What about prices? How cheap are things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Just got back from Argentina 10 days ago. Did Buenos Aires and Cordoba (10 hours by bus)
    What type of shots would I require, things to watch out for, etc etc.

Didn't get any but I guess you'd need some for for the jungle etc.

Definitely get a guide book, or two. Bought the Lonely Planet and then picked up an (outdated) Footsteps guide at my local library.

The only problem I found was the language, not speaking any Spanish. Nobody seems to speak English^.

Travelling by bus is easy cheap but I'd recommend taking Cama (versus Coche-Cama) meaning you get a sleeper seat with excellent recline and loads of legroom. Only costs about 30% more than an ordinary bus.

They have now introduced a "locals pay one price, tourists pay another" for domestic flights.

Jer

Cheers for that info guys.

Has anyone been to the Iguazu falls? Ill be heading from buenos aires to there then crossing the border into brazil then onto Rio de Janeiro.

The language is no hassle, im fluent at spanish and getting a certificate in it this year (just to prove the fluency to myself!)

I think Cordoba is out of the way for the route i intend to take. But we definately will be heading through jungle so ill need to get some injections.

Did anyone have to bring a yellow fever certificate? I heard they check for this in airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Has anyone been to the Iguazu falls? Ill be heading from buenos aires to there then crossing the border into brazil then onto Rio de Janeiro.

Skipped it but heard both the Argentina and Brazilian sides should be done. Both apparently have their own charm.
    Did anyone have to bring a yellow fever certificate? I heard they check for this in airports.

Certainly no check arriving in Buenos Aires.
    Was in Rio and Sao Paulo in 2001 and definitely no checks arriving.

Jeremiah

Thanx for all the information :)

Another thing, has anyone visited any tropical islands in along the atlantic coast in Brazil?.....such as Ilha do Mel, or Ilha Grande? Or even Parati even though its not an island.

Im just trying to figure out what to expect? obviously its different than good old Sutton beach ;)

Advertisement