Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400 ADSL orders

Options
  • 14-04-2003 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Talking to an eircom sales rep this morning.

400 orders for ADSL were apparently placed last Friday.

That's not bad for the first day it was made available. Maybe there's hope for this country yet.

I wonder how many of those 400 were IOFFL members, maybe all of them :) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well I certainly wasn't among them. It’s still a bit too expensive and restrictive for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I heard closer to 2.5k, but maybe that was calls alone just for adsl :-)

Still a great pickup.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I tried :)

Them : Im sorry youve failed our 3.5k and 5k tests, we cant offer you any broadband.

Me <incredulous> : But....I can see my exchange from my bedroom window, its 400 meters that way, surely the cable cant be over 5k to my house (~3k I could accept)

Them : its an outright fail im afraid.

Me : Are those canned tests or did I actually fail because of distance? (i.e. could it be anything else)

Them : it doesnt tell me why, just that we cant offer you any broadband services at all ever ever.

Me : aww geees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Would be interesting to hear from somone who had it installed within the past few days, what their latency is like

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

im gettin it over the next day or 2, ill let yahs know what its like when i get it

I dont know what people are complaining abOOt, 1.50Euro a day! u can scrape that off the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

just reading the thread and i was woundering whats the difference between adsl and dsl. dsl is as far as i know 512 DL and 256 UL, whats adsl.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

The A is for asymmetric, meaning you can have a different download and upload speeds, i.e., 512kb down/128kb up.

Most folks tend discuss ADSL/DSL and RADSL (Residential) as synonymns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Why are people ordering this when esats product is €5 cheaper and a bigger cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

convenience, thats why for me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    The A is for asymmetric, meaning you can have a different download and upload speeds, i.e., 512kb down/128kb up.

Most folks tend discuss ADSL/DSL and RADSL (Residential) as synonymns.

RADSL actually stands for Rate Adaptive Digital Subscriber Line.

DSL or xDSL is the generic name for a whole family or range of similar technologies that are based on the same idea, but have different characteristics (upload/download speed, maximum distance from the exchange allowed, etc.)

ADSL, RADSL, VDSL, SHDSL, etc. are all members of the DSL family.

Eircoms older DSL service is ADSL, the new EUR 54 product is RADSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

so adsl is not a fixed rate i.e. it could be 256 DL one day and 512 the next,,, whats the cost for adsl, would dsl not be better? (if the price is right)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm, might be better off asking these question on the Broadband forum clansman.

To recap, both ADSL and RADSL are types of DSL. There are many types of DSL. Only RADSL and ADSL are available from eircom.

ASDL is 512/128. full stop.

RADSL is up to 512/128. Because RADSL serves houses further away from the exchange, the max speed drops the longer it has to go. Hence, you may only be able to get a max speed of 256k if your quite far away from your exchange.

There is contention issues. Please search the forum for 'Contention ratio', its all explained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Dustaz
    ASDL is 512/128. full stop.

Huh? I have 1024/256 ADSL? Or are you just talking residential focussed DSL here?

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 idnb

Originally posted by ^CwAzY^

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/pricing.html

They don't mention anything about a self install option and the modem remains the property of Esat :eek: . Not a good deal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Argh :)

I was just highlighting the difference between ADSL and RADSL in a simple way :)

ADSL goes up to 7 megs i think?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by ^CwAzY^
    Esat have less locations than Eircon - Im in Leixlip and it won't be there with Esat until the end of the year (according to helpdesk) whereas Eircon is already there AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by kbannon
    Esat have less locations than Eircon - Im in Leixlip and it won't be there with Esat until the end of the year (according to helpdesk) whereas Eircon is already there AFAIK.

Check your number again on IOL broadband link...

checked last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Argh :)

I was just highlighting the difference between ADSL and RADSL in a simple way :)

Phew, can put the eircom conspiracy theory to rest again.. no wait ...

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by kbannon

Yes Esat BT DSL has less locations but IOL Broadband is a different product, aimed at the residental market. Esat BT are reselling the the Eircom DSL access, so in theory it should be available on all their exchanges too.

• Advertisement

iol broadband are not in the area then (but when i rang ESAT BT they informed me that it was the iol option I wanted!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

IOL broadband is Esat broadband. It's just using a different brandname to try and sell it.

So the equipment is different and belongs to Esat. So what ? I know it's a USB modem, but it works fine and gives better response, slightly lower cost and higher cap.

What's the problem ???

I believe that Esat is for business whereas IOL Broadband is for domestic - correct?
    On another note, I tried ringing Esat BT (rather than IOL) today @ 5pm and was told by the answering machine that their offices are closed - opening hours are from 9:30 to 7 !?!?!?!
    :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Eircon just called me today asking if i would be interested in their new starter RADSL, told them that thanks but no thanks, no reason to go in detail with why, just asked if it was even available in the IFSC area, he said it would be from Friday, so finally something happening on northside ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

i have my suspicions that esat are rip off artists, always have always will, i have netsmart at the mo and my last bill from them was a 153 euros, wherever the hell they got that from i dont know considering its only bloody 30 euro a month

also the horror stories im hearing about trying to get the bloody res dsl in from esat would turn me off getting anything from them, only the other day a good friend of mine told me she is still waiting 3 months later to get esat dsl in after ordering the thing before christmas, only to be told that they have no record of her ever ordering the damn thing in the first place argghh

and the last reason i wont be signing up for esat bb is that theres no self install option

im in the rat trap im afraid

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I was quite interested in the ESAT package when I heard that they were reselling the eircom offer. They previously weren't available in my area or I might have got the 256k package.

However when I checked the website it said that it wasn't available. Thinking they haven't updated the site I tried to ring the 1800 number and (4 goes and 25+ minutes on hold later) I got told that they aren't available in my area (Lucan) and have no plans to be in the next 3 months. Seeing as how I have been told (albeit by eircom) that DSL is now available I queried this further and was informed that they are not reselling the eircom package.

Anyone have a number I can call to get the truth (or failing that Una's number ;) ) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Yes Esat BT DSL has less locations but IOL Broadband is a different product, aimed at the residental market. Esat BT are reselling the the Eircom DSL access, so in theory it should be available on all their exchanges too.
    Well according to IOL webby I can't get it off them, despite having had eircom ADSL for a few months. I HAve everything installed and it works grand, don't see why it would suddenly be unavaileable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

IOL Broadband is strange. This is Esats package only, no reselling of Eircom's dsl, right? Its showing that its available in our office in New-Ross, and previously Esat said they werent rolling out in New-Ross. Eircom certainly are, and I'm going to be getting the 1MBit unlimited package, but if Esat also are then I know who I'll be going with! ;) Will be ringing them tomorrow, but wanted to make sure before wasting my time on hold!

Brendan

Advertisement