Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom contract obligations etc..

Options
  • 13-04-2003 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I signed up for i-stream solo last week...

Well I hit the 6Gig cap within 2 days. Now the issue I have is, at no point has anybody at eircom mentioned a cap to me. When I ordered it on the phone nothing was mentioned. To date I have neither signed anything or received anything.

Can eircon charge me for going over my cap?

Now before anybody rants on about all the 'linux iso's' i must have been downloading. I doubt to hit this sort of rate as an ongoing thing. However after waiting for so long for broadband, I did have a want list of things which I had been waiting to d/l or yonks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I doubt you will be charged. Stay under ~10, and you will be ok. The Eircom CD has any agreement on it. But its use it not necessary. You can claim there is no contract when it suits you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Which eircom cd is this? I have received NOTHING from eircon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Its in the modem box with some other rubbish. Its orange in color and contains internet explorer and the PPPOE client

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I too have not recieved any contract nor have i recieved the cd from eorcom...when the engineer came to install he only had his copy which i had to copy locally to my harddrive...I then at that bvery moment rang up eircom and enquired about them sending me a copy of the cd which the lady politely said no problem its in the post.

To this date i havent recieved any communication for them. I just wonder shouold i decide to move to a house wher ei cant transfer my adsl connection can i claim im not willing to honor the contract for a 12 month subscription when i in fact have recieved no contract?

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

jesus man, how did you hit the 6gb cap in two days?

What did you download?

I would find that real hard to do.

Since you signed nothing, your fine. Use and abuse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

You accepted to enter into a contract with eircom by knowingly signing up and having your dsl activated. Yes, you are in a contract. CD's and Licence Agreements mean SFA really.

Theoretically, you could argue that the cap was a strange term to have in an DSL rental contract that was not specified clearly before any contract was agreed, therefore nullifying the contract.

Realistically, you will be told by the random biddy you get through to that "we sent you a bill, sir, so you have to pay it." You will not be able to argue your point to anyone in eircom that gives 2 sheets whether you are right or not. You could take it to court but it will cost you more in legal fees than the total of the cancellation charges for the contract.

Basically, they are bigger than you; you lose. Bend over and take it like a man. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

do they tell you when your ovr your limit or does it just apear on your bill ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Just appears on the bill.

Interesting point actually. Still talking court carry on though.

think about it,its eircom...they just put it on the bill...but in small writing its 3cent per mb dunno if thats including or excluding VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I am using my own modem so I have nothing from eircom.. In fact I had to obtain my own PPP client.

Nobody at eircom has told me there is a cap. At any point. I have signed nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

well it says that eircom reserve the right to charge for going over the cap and it has been stated here before that nobody has knowingly been charged for this, be interesting to see your bill when it comes through just to see if youve been charged

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

ye u might get away with it for a month or 2, but if u keep going over im sure they will charge u/cut u off, i aint gonna risk it for a while anyway.

Also they keep talkin about giving me passwords etc.... for what exactly? u dont have to dial up ADSL? so.... i dunno what it is.

Just ordered there today. James it says all over the website about the 4gb limit and in their terms and conditions.

Just say your blind...hehe:D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    ye u might get away with it for a month or 2, but if u keep going over im sure they will charge u/cut u off, i aint gonna risk it for a while anyway.

Also they keep talkin about giving me passwords etc.... for what exactly? u dont have to dial up ADSL? so.... i dunno what it is.

I had to dial into my adsl account when I had the trials :( . Was instant like, but still had to dial in. Whats changed about the technology?

And if ure intereseted heres one of the modems i used...
    orckit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

James,
    i hit easily 40-50 gigs and thats just counting certain dloads from private ftps..
    not browsing and http downloads

didnt get billed for going over cap..

regarding contract..
    i could cancel at anytime they said

Advertisement