Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL/Broadband

Options
  • 13-04-2003 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I am living in Co.Galway, in a very rural area. I am wondering if any sort of Broadband might be available to me in the future. My local exchange is a small little hut about 3 miles away so I guess Eircom will probably never upgrade it to ADSL.

Does anyone know if us people in rural Ireland will ever have access to Broadband in the near future?

Many Thanks
    Jason Shaughnessy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Unfortunately it seems unlikely that small rural exchanges will get upgraded by the big telcos in the short term.

Several national wireless licences were awareded by ComReg in 2000 for the purpose of bringing the benefits of digital communications to rural areas, but it seems that the companies to whom they were awarded are largely sitting on them. Unfortunately the conditions attached to them were very loose.

You might try contacting ComReg to see if any of them are obliged under their licence obligations to provide something resembling broadband to your area.

Advertisement