Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Cutting an Acre

Options
  • 12-04-2003 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Does anyone know what it might cost to have someone with a tractor cut the grass of an acre field?

I've been looking at a few country houses, so I just wondered what it might cost to have the grass cut.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nyx

if you're living in a rural area, your neighbouring farmers usually wouldn't have a problem cutting it for you, if you buy them a pint, something like that. Especially if you let them have the grass afterwards for hay/silage etc.
    Also, people with horses are usually going mad looking for fresh grazing for them as they can't live on (bought) hay all the time. My gran used to bring in a horse/goat to her meadow for free and they had the grass down in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

Thanks Nyx.

If I got a local farmer to cut it for hay/silage, I think it would not have to be as long for silage as for hay.

I think that's the way it works. Do you know?

If I got a local farmer to cut it and take the grass, would it be long enough for them if it was only cut once a year?

Or do they only want grass which is very long?

When your gran borrowed a goat, did she only need one to keep the grass down on an acre?

Thanks again!

it really does depend on the individual farmers you contact. i'd go with the grazing thing though, 'cos if you say its free, there'll be a lot more interest :-)
    it has to be fairly long for hay yes, for silage i'm not so sure. My gran had an acre meadow and she stuck in a few goats just to stop it going completely jungle, but i'd also recommend looking into asking local farmers if they have a small herd of calves/bullocks that need separate grazing for a few months.
    I'm presuming that you only want to keep the grass down, and not manicuring the lot, cos that'd completely break you if you're on a budget for an acre!
    good point of contact is the local Macra na Feirme.

Thanks again Nyx - it's appreciated.

no problem :-)

• Advertisement

Someone was telling me that if I were to get a couple of sheep or goats, I would have to get public liability insurance for them in case they escaped from the field and caused an accident or caused damage.

What do you think about this? True?

i've never heard of that :) although it probably is true...
    well tbh, it depends on how isolated your land is. i would think that it is the farmers responsibility to control his stock, and if he's willing to let them onto your land it means he's assured himself that the gate is strong enough etc.

Advertisement