Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Greece stunned by ADSL charges"

Options
  • 12-04-2003 5:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

"Reg readers in Greece have written to say that the cost of the service is so high it's likely few people will be able to afford it.

Upfront charges start at around €130 (£90) with the monthly subscription for a 384kbps service running in at €55 (£38) a month. A 512kbps service costs €101 (£70).

Snag is, these prices are just for the copper wires and exclude sales tax. They also exclude any ISP services and their charges. "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/30220.html

well what could possibly be the reason for this unhappy
    state of affairs?
    i mean has'nt the pioneer of affordable broadband in ireland recently
    returned to her homeland!
    most puzzling indeed.

wormhole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Don't be giving anyone in Ireland "bright ideas" as to how they might make matters worse for us.

Stelios will sort the Greek market out soon with EasyDSL....

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My god someone beat our pricing. I guess on the bright side we no longer have europe's most expensive ADSL service. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Yes but Greece never claimed to be the E-Tub of Europe.
    At least it was accepted that their DSL was non existent and/or far too expensive.
    In our uniquely Irish way not only do we not accept our own shortcomings but rather claim they are successes. Reminds me of Iraqi war briefings with the misinformation minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Yes but Greece has been turned into the ass end of the Eu, if you read the Economist. Too many obligations on the government to spend their cash on, eh, roads basically. To get the partial funding from the EU, they need to spend their own cash on things like big roads they prob don't need.

Maybe this is why our health, police and education services are crap and it doesn't matter because I can drive to Waterford from Cork in under 90 minutes. Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm... Did the main Greek telecom operator says a couple of years ago that they saw "No need to introduce a broadband network" by anychance? I know €irco(something) did. It was even in the paper. I always fin that funny. Sure, no need till the government force them to put one in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

my point which nobody appears to have got is that
    soula evans former eirgom marketing bigwig got a job in
    greece with their big telco. the arguments she put
    forward at the ioffl seminar (ie nobody wanted flat rate
    internet or cheap broadband.) seem to have found favour in
    greece.
    anybody who was at the seminar might remember being
    stunned by ms evans saying that ireland had the cheapest dial-up rates in europe!
    we must hope that the greek press do'nt have as much of
    an appitite for bull**** as the irish press do.

wormhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't think it is Soula Evans, tempting though it might be to attribute Greece's problems to her.

Greece seems to have similar problems to Ireland with an incumbent happily milking dial up revenue in the absence of competition from cable companies. Consequently, when they do bring out ADSL after a long delay, it is the most expensive in the world, just like in Ireland until recently. Both the delay and the high price are the result of OTE looking after its bottom line.

Soula Evans is more likely to be a symptom rather than a cause, possibly chosen because she can put the appropriate spin on her companies actions. At the IOFFL seminar, the basic thrust of her argument was that Eircom would naturally like to cater to what customers wanted, after all that is how they make money. No doubt she is doing the same thing now for her new employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

I think they should use cups and string to communicate, its bound to be cheaper!!
    Just think they could use a ring topology and implement tokens for availability of the string!!!

Isn't that just the greatest Idea EVER?!

God I shock :eek: myself at times with my mesmerising thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8893

some more detailed prices of greek adsl.

Advertisement