Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon Buckling?

Options
  • 11-04-2003 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ordering DSL today? Well you can wait an hour and end up with arthritis in yer neck if ya like. Apparently they're besieged by an unprescedented demand (2, 3 people? - who knows).

Perhaps the muppets that run this company will finally see that take up is price dependent and lop another few quid off it when the initial rush is over.

Oh bloody hell, I've done it again, I thought I lived in France! Ah well, nice thought while it lasted....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yeah I rang them too.....spent a good 20 odd mins on the phone. They have defo increased the distance to the exchange, I live outside that magic "3.5km" and I'm now passing the pre-qual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

got straight through (1 ring) on 1800 503 303

seem to have their heads sorted on the modem issue too -"oh starting from today we can now supply the service without a modem and let you supply your own one" grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

if You call 1800 512 128 for Res users
    and 1800 501502 and speak to your acc manager for Bus

With the Modem issue you have been able to use you own Modem for the Last 6 months

Originally posted by the Guru
    if You call 1800 512 128 for Res users
    and 1800 501502 and speak to your acc manager for Bus

The Eircom ADSL Website tells you to phone 1800 503 303, and like I said it worked for me.

With the Modem issue you have been able to use you own Modem for the Last 6 months

You know that, I know that, ComReg know that, the whole of Boards knows that, in fact everyone except eircom and ESAT know that. I was just mocking the irony of eircom telling me that "As of today......" Sorry if you missed the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

woooooooooo handbags at the ready !!! :D

I was just giving the people here 2 other options to get there lines tested

• Advertisement

woooooooooo handbags at the ready !!! :D

well i have 15 (ooops, 16 now) posts more than you so that must give me the right to swing something, even if it is a handbag...

Whatever about 1800 512 128 (ISDN residential) would you seriously recommend anybody call that menagerie that is 1800 501502 ??? After all, thats where most of the Ethels and Medusas hang out and is nothing short of being a recipe for an early coronary

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

A bit insulting to ladies named Ethel isn't it? :)

Ethelred would be more appropriate. The old English king was dubbed "Ethelred the Unready", which is far more appropriate when talking about €ircon.
    http://www.britannia.com/history/monarchs/mon14.html

</end of history lesson>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I called, Ballyhaunis hasn't been upgraded yet it seems. Castlebar has though. Anyone got a list of what exhanges Eircom PLAN to upgrade during 2003?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ballyhaunis you say well i was chatting to an engineer when we were getting in isdn at home (X you should know it urban) and from what i could gather from him is that it may be a while until castlerea or ballyhaunis are upgraded kinda annoying being 6miles either way from both exchanges.i think they have plans to do claremorris soon but then again that could be just pie in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I rang up this mrning (1800 512128) got straight through. Placed my order with absolutely no problems at all. Told the girl I didnt want their modem which was absolutely no problems either.. Was told someone (Order Management Unit) would contact me within 24 hours and the kit would arrive within 10 working days.

However a colleague who phoned like 10 minutes later was told that due to 'unprecendented demand' they could just take his phone number and call him back this afternoon.

Guess I just got lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

ok passed the line test and got straight through to eircom first time, going to go self install just a few quick questions

1) is this a pay in advance system like esats so itd be 150 every 3 months, or just the 55 quid a month flat rate fee.

2) 12 month contract i presume

3) does anyone in an eircom store actually know what their talking about, was in 1 this morning asked about i-stream starter and was told that it wouldnt be released in waterford until december at the earliest

Sigh

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

As far as I am aware you will be charged 110euro on your two monthly bill.

I beleive you are tied in for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

'unprecendented demand'

typical eircom bullsh1t
    buckle down for the long wait

of course the have to say unprecedented, or all their other excuses for delaying rollout will be exposed for the outright lies that they were

deep breath........calm..........no its no good,

Captain echomadman: Captain's Log, Star Date 9522.6 I've never trusted
    eirgons....and I never will. I can never forgive them for the
    death of my bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Called them this morning to have my line tested again.
    Failed again.
    No explanation given. (we can offer you isdn)
    Can I call anyone for a detailed explanation?
    Have they any obligation to provide this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by Asok
    Ballyhaunis you say well i was chatting to an engineer when we were getting in isdn at home (X you should know it urban) and from what i could gather from him is that it may be a while until castlerea or ballyhaunis are upgraded kinda annoying being 6miles either way from both exchanges.i think they have plans to do claremorris soon but then again that could be just pie in the sky

Asok thine fool there is an exchange in this town as well like :) meant to be a hell of a lot of unlit fiber running though X as well with some of it terminating in the exchange.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by DC
    Ethelred would be more appropriate. The old English king was dubbed "Ethelred the Unready", which is far more appropriate when talking about €ircon.

<english-lesson>
    'Unready' does not mean "never ready or prepared", but lacking 'rede', i.e. "wisdom, judgment, or kingcraft."
    That said, as regards Eircom, the epithet still applies.
    </english-lesson>

Now, where was I...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by milltown

Have they any obligation to provide this service?

No. The only obligation eircom have is to provide a line capable of carrying data at er, 14.4k (i think, search for any of Mucks USO threads.)

The problem with DSL is that it is distance limited. If you live in a remote area, you may never be able to get it. If you live in a city, then you may have a splitter on your line or another problem with your line (again, search the forum for ways to fix this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I rang yesterday, I passed the test, everything was fine until I said I had ISDN. The guy on the phone then went on to describe how they haven't trained enough technicians to deal with DSL installation over the ISDN but they're working on it and he told me to ring back in 3 weeks. Really pissed off that i've been fobbed off, definitely going to hold out for ESAT BT's offer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Thats excuse me just bollocks from the eircom technician, all they have to do is downgrade the line, dont know the cost of it

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

so they can test your line now, even if you have isdn installed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

One other interesting point folks. I asked them about the install option if I already had a monitored €ircon alarm. THey said, ah, we'd have to send a technician, and the self-install option would be €199.

So, get rid of the alarm (if that's not on a 12 month contract) or pay the extra!

Wonder if this affects an ESAT etc offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I rang on Friday and was told after a few seconds...
    "Oh, I'm sorry.. you have ISDN. You'll have to wait till the end of May for a test"

I said that I had gotten an ADSL test the previous week and couldn't see why they couldn't do the new RADSL test.. I had failed that test.. She said, "Oh, but that wasn't a true reading"

What can one do?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i smell bull****, they obviously don't have enough people to cope with installing it or they want to stop a mass migration from ISDN or something like that.... because only a few weeks ago I was told that ISDN wasn't a problem and the test worked fine over ISDN and all they had to do was send out someone to downgrade the line for me and then install it.

Well either way im now holding out for Via, Esat, UTVip or anyone else because I don't like being fobbed off only days after being told everything was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

It would appear that you can't order the self-install option without the Modem on the online store. Funny that!

Is this in violation of the ComReg doohicky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    I called, Ballyhaunis hasn't been upgraded yet it seems. Castlebar has though. Anyone got a list of what exhanges Eircom PLAN to upgrade during 2003?
    No idea-I think you can ask for it in your area
    There's a "vote for broadbond in your area" options at www.eircom.ie -doesnt link directly causs of the session ids

Advertisement