Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIA & Eircom.net - what's the story?

Options
  • 10-04-2003 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

OK, Eircom have both officially (sent out a letter 6 months ago telling me to piss off) and unofficially (website app - surprise) said I can't get DSL (I'm in dublin 20), but VIA say I'm ok for RADSL. I noticed that both companies are "rolling out" new residential DSL access on exactly the same day (tomorrow, 11th). What's up there? Is it a huge coincidence about the date (and just completely independent services) or do they use the same exchanges, and sell the exact same products? Does anyone know if VIA are any cop, and is it worth EUR63/month?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    OK, Eircom have both officially (sent out a letter 6 months ago telling me to piss off) and unofficially (website app - surprise) said I can't get DSL (I'm in dublin 20), but VIA say I'm ok for RADSL. I noticed that both companies are "rolling out" new residential DSL access on exactly the same day (tomorrow, 11th). What's up there? Is it a huge coincidence about the date (and just completely independent services) or do they use the same exchanges, and sell the exact same products? Does anyone know if VIA are any cop, and is it worth EUR63/month?

Cheers

VIA are reselling Eircoms new wholesale RADSL products, that is why they are being released on the same day.

EsatBT will also be reselling this in June for EUR 49 (5GB cap).

BTW VIAs product actually costs EUR 76 Incl. VAT (EUR63 is excluding VAT) but it has no cap.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

Cheers.

Bottom line, who should I go for, and is there a cap on Eircom's? VIA seem a whole lot friendlier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

eircom will not be able to do a proper line test for the radsl test untill tomorrow, their other test is based on their current product. the eircom line test are harder to pass then most others this is why you probably why VIA passed you. You may want to try a new line test tomorrow, or ring esat aswell or via after tomorrow as they will have nerw results and you can base your choice on that then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    is there a cap on Eircom's?

Yes, 4 GB for EUR 54 per month, 3.6 cent for each MB after the 4 GB (in other words EUR 36 for an extra GB).
    Bottom line, who should I go for

That depends on you, if you think you will use less then 5 Gig a month and want the cheapest possible then Esat is the better.

If you believe you will use more then 5 gig then VIA seem to be better.

Eircom doesn't register at all.

BTW Esat will not be available until June.

Advertisement