Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Irish telcos ever learn about content?

Options
  • 10-04-2003 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

From the recent ENN article :
    A spokesperson for Eircom said that "undercutting Eircom was an obvious tactic for Esat BT on entering the market," but who will gain the biggest share of the market will come down to quality of service and superiority of content.

Superiority of content!!!!! , Irish telcos have failed for over five years to offer decent content themselves. As has been said before in this forum, just deliver the bits stupid.

Eircom themselves blew millions accquiring web development companies and then proved themselves to be completely unable to leverage them in providing "compelling" content.

Sure it's the holy grail to control the content and the delivery a la Rupert Murdoch, but surely Irish telco's have learnt by now that their efforts to do so with the Internet in Ireland have failed and dare I say are doomed to fail in the future.

Next we'll be reading that someone has invented the "Killer App".

But there will never be one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

This is again an example on how they (€ircon) are deceiving the public in claiming a "tenure" on the Internet just by providing access to it.

Unfortunately, not even a "Better Quality of Service" does help competitors to overcome the unconscious declination of many customers towards the incumbent.

But fortunately, we have the IrelandOffline campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Dangger
    Sure it's the holy grail to control the content and the delivery a la Rupert Murdoch, but surely Irish telco's have learnt by now that their efforts to do so with the Internet in Ireland have failed and dare I say are doomed to fail in the future.

Heh, they're a telco. When I use my phone, I use it to ring someone, not to be entertained. No-one would use the phone if you rang and heard ads and annoying voices asking you to "Press 1 for breaking news".

Such as it is with Internet access. I use the telco to access the internet. From then on, It's my responibility for my own entertainment, not the telco's!

The content provided by the telco has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether I use them or not. If I'm connected via eircom, then eircom.ie is just another webpage, not my homepage, or my base page, or my web portal, or any other kind of crap. Are yis listening?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Dangger
    Next we'll be reading that someone has invented the "Killer App".

But there will never be one.

This I disagree with. The "Killer App" exists in the mind's eye.

In what medium can just about anyone find something that they find appealing/interesting that will have them coming back for more?

"Dis 'Internet' tingy" in berrrrtie speak.

Companies wail about the lack of a killer-app as a cop-out for lack of vision. It exists. But it's not a single "App" per-se, since it's a medium more than an app. it's a medium that delivers the content which user 'N' considers "killer".

Exec's seem to think a Killer-App is some sort of boxed product that they market, ship, and sell. Heaven forbid that they be wrong. Just like "people aren't interested in the internet". Right eircom??? :rolleyes:

Advertisement