Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30GB Cap on Broadband!!!

Options
  • 09-04-2003 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Every time I ring EirCON I try to ask them why they are so expensive compared to the rest of europe. Of course I always get the same old 'economies of scale'....'tiny ireland'.....'no infrastructure'....rubbish...

Well i-stream solo at €109 a month has a 3GB cap.. NTL in the uk for £30 give you a 512k connection...(Half the price) They recently introduced a 1GB a day cap....Thats 30GB a month...Thats 10 TIMES as much as Eircom will allow you for the same money...

That works out at 60 TIMES the download allowance for a service!!

How on earth can EirCON justify this sort of crap??? NTL are being pilloried in the UK for introducing this at all....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

According to This Document the i-stream solo Cap will increase to a whopping 6Gb from Friday 11th. Thats 20% or so of the NTL UK allowance at double the price...which is most generous. If you want uncapped you will notice on page 15 of Said Document that Eircom can force you to upgrade to their Énhanced product if you download 10.1 Gb a month. This will then cost you €200 a month with no cap.

If you refuse their offer to pay them €200 a month , in their request to you, you will be cut off.

NTL no longer have a 512k product, it is now 600k. In Ireland it is uncapped by the way.

Its all on page 15.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Now let me get this right....

IF you go over the cap they can FORCE you on to a different product....

IF you refuse they can cut you off...

Well If thats not an opt out clause from their 12 month contract I don't know what is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by James Melody
    Now let me get this right....

IF you go over the cap they can FORCE you on to a different product....

IF you refuse they can cut you off...

Well If thats not an opt out clause from their 12 month contract I don't know what is....

If they do so it is Indeed an optout from a lockin clause.

They may alternatively choose to charge you 3c per Mb (ex VAT) instead. Their choice . I make that €36 for every Gb downloaded over the Cap including VAT .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wow !
    unbelievable, is it even legal to force someone to buy some other product or face termination, surely it's the customers prerogative to say i want this package and pay the extra costs blah blah blah ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by parasite
    wow !
    unbelievable, is it even legal to force someone to buy some other product or face termination, surely it's the customers prerogative to say i want this package and pay the extra costs blah blah blah ...
    It's perfectly legal for a company to set forth the terms and conditions associated with the product it is offering, and further, to clearly specify possible remedies the company might seek against the customer should the customer deviate from those terms and conditions.

However consider that, at EUR36 each, there aren't too many gigs between a capped product and the unlimited iStream Enhanced. Every EUR36 after that makes your capped DSL service more expensive than iStream Enhanced - clear profit for Eircom. If you were Eircom, would you even bother saying anything at all? If you were them, you'd probably silently move the customer onto a megabit port and hope he uses more :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

..97%...98%...99%...connection to server lost...

So now 98% of your file is in the €ircom cache* and since lots of people don't use download accelerators ("it's broad band "), round and round the meter goes again.

I've asked it before - how much do €ircom make each time there is a new linux distro ???

Surely the 3.6c per MB should only apply to stuff that is not already in thier proxies ???

Would be nice if they had uncapped mirrors (hint hint) - shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which are the most popular sites...

*oops typo - should have read "Cash"

Advertisement