Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Website Up Today (Spot the crap)

Options
  • 08-04-2003 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Home page cockups ONLY. http://www.eircom.ie/

1. They are claiming the capped 512k radsl that will be launched on the 11/04 is "FLAT-RATE" .....wrong lads, its capped. ASAI here we go again :(

2. What is 3 years old? the RAT?

3. Broadband 50% less, no its not.

I am sure others will excavate more crud as the day goes on.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I'm really annoyed at eircom at the moment...

1) their ADSL and RADSL products are different products - saying that the price of one is somehow linked to the other is very simply incorrect and misleading - well pointed out Muck.

2) They say in some places that their broadband is up to 10 times faster than dial up and in others 30 times faster - come on lads , common agreement please!

3) They are seling broadband to business and not explaining what they are actually selling - i.e. Static V dynamic addressing , Delay with Inter-leaving, not available to all, no guarantee you can get it, RADSL only 256k guaranteed etc etc....

All this together is a very strong ANSI case indeed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by crawler
    I'm really annoyed at eircom at the moment...
    3) They are seling broadband to business and not explaining what they are actually selling - i.e. Static V dynamic addressing , Delay with Inter-leaving, not available to all, no guarantee you can get it, RADSL only 256k guaranteed etc etc....

Can you see the really really sneaky aspect of their ADSL product mix.

The 2 cheap packages (where they expect you to buy THEIR overpriced modems) will only be available through the Online Store.

The 2 expensive packages involve ringing 1800512128 and not contactin their online store.

What they don't tell you is that ALL 4 packages can be obtained through 1800512128 but that if you go to the Online store you will have to buy their modem. Same if you look at the packages through the adsl.ie site .

The ASAI wouldn't really understand this but Comreg would not show Eircom any sympathy if Eircom claimed there was a mistake on their website. Nor may Eircom take any orders fdor the starter RADSL package through their online store before Friday 11/04

M

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

how about this from the adsl faq page on the eircom website ... Only eircom could make adsl come out worst in a comparison with isdn...

---
    What are the main differences between ISDN and ADSL?
    ADSL and ISDN are not the same. The two technologies can be separated in a number of ways;

Speed: ADSL is an Internet access product and does not provide the voice functionality of ISDN. ISDN BRA provides access at speeds of 64Kbps on two channels or 128Kbps if both channels are combined.
    Range of coverage: Both ISDN and ADSL are distance sensitive. Typically customers need to be within 2-2.5km of an ADSL equipped exchange to receive the service. ISDN is less distance sensitive and can be provided up to 6km away (site survey specific). ISDN has been commercially available in Ireland for some time. The number of exchanges that have ISDN capability is substantial.
    Functionality: ADSL is an Internet access product only. ISDN and the migration product eircom hi-speed offer faster Internet access than PSTN, but also offer a breadth of voice functionality such as Direct Dial Inwards (DDI) and Multiple Subscriber Numbering (MSN)
    ---

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

You need to ask - which is FAR more profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by crawler
    2) They say in some places that their broadband is up to 10 times faster than dial up and in others 30 times faster - come on lads , common agreement please!
    Indeed. BT have settled on "12 times faster" in all their advertising and associated bumpf. "30 times faster" only applies if you currently have a really dodgy split line (which unfortunately means you wouldn't pass the DSL test anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

NSAPI Error:
    communication error OK
    An error has occurred

piece of crap website, "oh, opera is it?........<crash>"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by neverhappen
    how about this from the adsl faq page on the eircom website ... Only eircom could make adsl come out worst in a comparison with isdn...

maybe they want to make everyone upgrade to isdn to make money then advertise adsl in a way that makes it look attractive in a few years and then charge them the cost of converting from isdn to adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

While describing the new starter package eircom have said
    *The monthly fee covers charges for transporting traffic across the Internet within specified monthly limits (download allowance). This excludes fees that may be applied to access sites or additional services eircom may seek to charge for in the future. eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 3.6c (incl. VAT) per Megabyte for downloads in excess of 4GB on eircom i-stream starter. The regular monthly phoneline rental and voice call charges apply.

Is it just me or are they leaving themselves open to some serious questions with the emphasis on download. I wonder what will happen the first time they try and charge someone and their Upload traffic is what dragged them over the 4GB?

Websites here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Is it just me or are they leaving themselves open to some serious questions with the emphasis on download. I wonder what will happen the first time they try and charge someone and their Upload traffic is what dragged them over the 4GB?

It's only on downloaded traffic, hence the emphasis.

I notice that the downloads caps have been increased on the solo and multi products as well... solo to 6GB and multi to 10GB... repositioning the "business solutions" back above the starter's 4GB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by neverhappen
    I notice that the downloads caps have been increased on the solo and multi products as well... solo to 6GB and multi to 10GB... repositioning the "business solutions" back above the starter's 4GB

Where did you find that please?

In www.adsl.ie > "Eircom i-stream range" (I won't give you the URL because it is one of these crappy session specific things) they still show solo download allowance at 3 GB, multi 6GB etc. The page I am looking at is in the new eircom website format.

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

According to leaflet they were handing out at ict-expo last week ....

starter/starter self install: 4GB
    solo: 6GB
    multi: 10GB
    enhanced: unlimited (and this time with no ** pointing to the common disclaimer about reserving the right to charge 3c/MB ex VAT)

.cg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looking at HiSpeed

On the What do I need to use eircom hi-speed? Q & A page down near the bottom there is this gem ...

"You want to use eircom hi speed to surf at normal speeds (up to 56Kbps) and have another line free"

56K hang on a moment on the ! Not sure what line to use? page they say max 45Kb on a dial up line. So they admit it is impossible to achieve normal speeds on a standard phone line.

ASAI ?

==========================================
    eircom i-stream starter ... It is now available ... on 700,000 telephone lines across Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I downloaded their standalone.exe program just for the sake of it. It tells you if your pc meets the requirments of ADSL. OS passed, Disk space passed, Ram passed, CPU Failed (XP2000 :)) and browser (ie 6) failed, says i need ie 5+.

Just found it quite amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Hey, I am in Carlow, was speaking to a rep today on the 1800503303 number.

Told me my exchange was ready and they just needed to test my line. I was added to the list of people to be tested and they would let me know, probably in 2 weeks or so!!!

However, i went to their site tonight and there was a "test your line" link. of course i did so, entered my acc details and phone number to be told that my line failed!! however it said something about my exchange not being ready!

So who is lieing to me? their site, which could very well beout of date, or their poor over worked rep? havent had a chance to ring them and ask ad will be day after tomorrow before i can :mad:

Originally posted by zz03
    Where did you find that please?

In www.adsl.ie > "Eircom i-stream range" (I won't give you the URL because it is one of these crappy session specific things) they still show solo download allowance at 3 GB, multi 6GB etc. The page I am looking at is in the new eircom website format.

zz..

In the latest version of the price list.

Use that fiddly navigation bar on the left of the eircom website.
    Select About Us>eircom Activities>eircom Pricelist

or go straight there with this link

The web page is still in the good old orange "pictures of dappled sunlight and girls smiling" format.

The document itself is in pdf format

Its down near the end in there - the changes from the last published price list are highlighted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Disclaimer
    This site is under continual restructuring. In the event of a discrepancy
    arising between the original copy and any other copy of the scheme,
    the provisions of the original copy held in the company's office shall prevail.

eh.. well that covers it
    actually that covers any documentation that punters receive..

Visions of Eircon exec's putting the true and original copy into a fireproof safe, evil cackling and hand rubbing as they laugh about the discrepancies esp. the one they took from Dublin Bus about the standard fare*

*ie. if you don't have a piece of paper proving you paid a valid lower fare then you have to pay the standard fare.

Today and Tomorrow (Thurs) the price and service level is still Pending

Page 15 of This will tell you the price applicable from friday the 11/04

It also deatails the Caps.

It also CHANGES the CAP conditions.

Until now Eircom could (didn't so far ) charge extra for usage over the CAP.

From FRIDAY 11/04/03 they can now either

1. Charge Extra

or

2. "Request the Customer select a more appropriate level" meaning you must upgrade to a more expensive package. If you make the mistake of downloading 10.1Gb in a month you will be asked to "select" Enhanced at €200 a month Including VAT

and

3. If the "Request" in item 2 is not complied with they may terminate the service.

all on page 15 of the linked PDF till thursday and thereafter it will be Here somewhere.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Effective Friday:

Paragraph 5 has changed from

"Upgrades or downgrades to existing eircom i-stream access levels shall NOT incur additional connection charges. Monthly rental charges for upgraded or downgraded eircom i-stream access shall be based on the charges for the revised bandwidth."

To To

"Upgrades or downgrades to existing eircom i-stream access levels shall incur additional connection charges. Monthly rental charges for upgraded or downgraded eircom i-stream access shall be based on the charges for the revised bandwidth."

In Rat speak this means.

1. Until friday you may change to a non existant product (starter) for free, no worries sham.

2. From friday we will charge you to so do now it actually exists.

afox@eircom.ie is the " Consumer Programme Manager " (Head Biddy Probably) who understands all this and can explain it best, Alan is his name. I love the title, it zzzzziiinnnngs.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Dear Mr. Kenny,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding DSL. Unfortunately, I do not work on the DSL product and, as I am sure you can appreciate, I would not be in a position to comment in relation to your query. However, I have passed your query on to the relevant manager.

Kind regards,

Alan Fox

the buck has been passed, where will it stop, nobody knows.

Advertisement