Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms dsl Modems

Options
  • 07-04-2003 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Its come up in a few other threads but always seems to be a little vague, so Id like to see it in a thread on its own.

Can Eircom force people to buy thier dsl modem? Sales are telling people that if they go for the self-install option, they MUST buy the eircom modem.

Is this legal or not?
    Whats the proper response.

Again, i know this is in other threads. I just know people will keep asking this question so Id like to keep it current :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1. Ring 1800512128 to find the Eircon DSL sellers.

2. Always get the full name , 'Mary' ain't enough.

3. They may recommend or strongly recommend their limited DSL modem but they may not MAKE you take it as part of the packaage. recommendations are OK/

4. They may not even sell you the package till Friday 11/04/03 as it happens.

5. If they leave you with any impression that you must buy their modem then ask for Emily .....the DSL sales supervisor. Complain at length to her. 1800512128 is her number too.

6. If Emily , the supervisor, is in any way ambivalent about this then contact Comreg through the Online Form Here . Emily should correct her droid and pass you back to them.

Finally, remember Why Eircom are trying to get you to spend €240 on their modem which can not be easily shared by a normal individual home user. Obviously theres the profit for Eircon but really they do not want the SoHo market to buy and manage their own kit which can normally do as follows in the indicated price brackets (INCLUDING VAT)

If you spend €240 with Eircon you will get a product which will do the following

1. DSL Modem

If you spend €200 on the likes of D-Link/Actiontec/SMC/Linksys/Netgear you will get a product which will more than likely do all the following

1. DSL Modem
    2. Router
    3. Firewall
    4. Ethernet Ports to connect 2-4 pcs immediately.
    5. Intrusion Detection
    6. DHCP server for up to 250 Pc's

If you spend €250 on the likes of D-Link/Actiontec/SMC/Linksys/Netgear you will get a product which will more than likely do all the following

1. DSL Modem
    2. Router
    3. Firewall
    4. Ethernet Ports to connect 2-4 pcs immediately.
    5. 5. Intrusion Detection
    6. DHCP server for up to 250 Pc's
    7. Built in Wireless Hub to connect up to 250 PC's over Wi-Fi

Eircom would rather you spent your cash taking their expensive upgrades instead of buying one of the many easily configurable all in one products.

See the Broadband forum for models and prices and suppliers.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

Thought this thread would be a lot busier in the last few days, but was clearly mistaken.

I ordered the Eircom DSL on Friday evening after several fruitless attempts. Was told that if I wanted the order to be processed that day, that I would need to buy a modem. If I didn't want the modem, they could hold the order until this coming Thursday as they are only processing orders with modems for the first week. Was going to have a bit of a row but it was Friday and I didn't really care that much. I don't suppose they're really breaking the rules as all they're doing is giving temporary priority to a certain type of order

BTH The product advice in this area from Muck et al has been very useful. Would there be any use in having a sticky with the best product/vendor for all of the different classes of product i.e. usb, ethernet, routers, wireless etc? Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

With Eircoms new offering my Aunt is looking to get DSL, can you point me in the direction of a decent DSL modem cause I wouldnt know good from bad if they had it written on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

www.itdirect.ie for some goos ones, just put in a search. U cna pick it up if ur in DUblin, their on Parliment Street in Temple Bar

If u want it cheaper and have a Credit card then go to www.komplett.ie

www.yelnahs.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

komplette.ie dont sell adsl modems. I tried hoping they would but they dont.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000089RS4/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-5570899-0293204

thats a ****en bargain...well when i say bargain, not as cheap as some people got(IM LOOKING AT YOU...:ninja: ) but its as cheap as the rest of us will get...

• Advertisement
Advertisement