Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom - getting Xchanges DSL enabled

Options
  • 04-04-2003 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there any legislation that forces eircom to DSL enable an exchange. For example if say 50 people want DSL in a given area are eircom obliged to upgrade the Xchange??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by thegills
    Hi,
    Is there any legislation that forces eircom to DSL enable an exchange. For example if say 50 people want DSL in a given area are eircom obliged to upgrade the Xchange??
    Cheers

No as Bricks said.

The imminent Universal Service Obligation may contain something of use , Comreg will publish their inclinations this month on the USO, as IoffL put in a submission, they will be entitled to a rebuttal submission if Comreg drop the ball on the USO. Any good ideas you have yourself could be included in that rebuttal , if you PM me I'll explain it.

Comreg will also be allowed to 'Create ' or 'Spec' a product which they can then force Eircom (or Chorus in Limerick or Vodafone in Rural Areas) to offer in their USO product basket. This could be what you need.

As a regulator newly having the power to so do, I belive that any expressions of interest site should possibly be run by Comreg themselves. Blowing money on Marketing Bunnies who run inaccurate surveys is not a good idea any more is it Étain.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

USO relates soley to narrowband, i.e. up to 56k. It's a voice band obligation

Its not even 56k its 2.4k .....I mean the current USO which is over 4years old now.

The new USO is being finalised and will be far more generous with the basic line quality, after all the European Directive refers to a right to "Functional Internet Access" which 2.4k ain't. The wording of the directive indicates that the requirement may not fall solely on Eircom either.

Eircom CS staff nevertheless persist in saying the line is voice only when it is a 2.4k data line too , god bless Biddy and all her works. Biddy thinks the USO is 0k not up to 56k which tells us plenty about Biddy's training in the past 4 years.

Comreg will publish their response to Consultation later this month, it will make for fascinating reading whether any of us agrees with it or not.

The USO iself, when finalised in July, will also have a direct bearing on the way that Eircom manage the copper, being largely concerned with minimum standards and services over copper but in addition it will hopefully designate Vodafone as a USO carrier as well and force some minimum standards on them too.

It may even ditch Eircoms data requirements in Rural areas and get Vodafone to provide data instead as hinted in the Wireless roadmap Comreg published in January where they showed an interest in 1EV-DO....should one want to look into that.

One waits in great anticipation :D

M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by highlight
    USO relates soley to narrowband, i.e. up to 56k. It's a voice band obligation

Not necessarily you can have a USO for all sorts of things, for instance I believe the ESB have a USO in relation to Electricity and it is rumoured that Vodafone will be soon getting a USO for Mobile phone services.

Eircom's USO is currently for voice, but that is to be expanded soon, to include data services.
    IOFFL made a submission to ComReg with regards to this a few months ago, it is posted on the IOFFL website if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The submission IOFFL made to ComReg on USO consultation 02/116 is available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know roughly how much it costs Eircon to enable an exchange for ADSL?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I don't know how much it costs eircom, I'm not sure if we have access to those figures? But for a bal park figure, there was an article in the sunday business post today, saying it costs BT £250,000 to DSL enable an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Thanks for the estimation.
    If my calc are correct, it means Eircon would need around 600 subscriptions at their new price (54 Euro) for a year to get their money back (375,000 Euro) - excluding any other cost.
    That doesn't sound so hard, but how many lines would be on one exchange?

the payback should be over 3 years not 1 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I can't quite remember exactly, but it was something like 400 - 600 lines for the exchange for that price.

The paypack should definitely be calculated over at least 3 years, if not more.

Advertisement