Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nwn 07/04/03

Options
  • 03-04-2003 3:03pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.darkkeep.com/viewtopic.php?p=56#56

Against the giants peeps, meant for up to 8 players, levels 10 to 15 so it should be a good challenge.

if I dont get the reduced size file up at the link above, you can download it from HERE

it's a 10 meg download, two hak files and an intro movie.

and no playing ahead :)

Hopefully this will bring us up to 14th or 15th level when I have a quite tasty grand finale module lined up (might have to wait til we hit 18th though as it seems a bit too tough).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sounds good... downloading it now. Wont play it ahead though, im playing generals right now.

Anyway sounds like in G1 there is a big interval between rests!! Also there is a LOT of loot to be had in the first one and the shops are cheap so hopefully we will have some good stuff. Did someone get Whitebone armour or White dragon armour? I thought someone mentioned it last night.. apparently it comes in handy in the game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I found white dragon armour. Dont know who claimed it in the end.

White bone armour is a medium armour (chainmail +2) that gives damage reduction 15 against anything with less than a +1 enchantment bonus.

Yeah it was white bone thats mentioned...
    I wanted the White Dragon armour but by the time i used the stone of recall and then the portal to you after transferring leadership to you, it was gone and all that was left was rogue, mage, monk stuff!

I would think Heb or Rag got it, well Heb probably.. i think rag said he was not able to wear heavy armour and i think white dragon is heavy... could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I took heavy armor feat at 9th lvl and am now wearing the white dragon armor. Didnt know you wanted it saruman ya shoulda said.

That giant mod sounds nice, +4 to dodge AC against giants for being a dwarf :)

Dunno if ill be able to make it monday though, (only 2 more classes left thank god)

If theres anyway you can let someone else use me character go right ahead. One of the spellcasters maybe(yunno with the rest thing they may be a bit buggered). Ill try make it anyway

Im fine, dont worry about it.. i have some special armour.. its the same as full plate +2 in that terms... i had to try and decide which i wanted at the time, i decided to go with the named armour (cant think of name.. just some guy!). The armani of Neverwinter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

well, I can live with rest-restrictions as long as they are not exaggerated. Thou they really decreased the usefullness of the spellcasters since release of the game they still pack a punch. A 10 minute rest-restriction for example shouldn't be too much of a problem. More could result in probs thou.

cya
    - Flash

edit: what I can't stand: modules where you have to go to inns in order to rest. Makes spellcasters almost 100% useless.

Was there a spell or potion or something in BGII that could rest you and give you back your spells? Im sure i came across it...

Just some minor points for tonights game:

1. Do Not talk to the guy at the beginning. He is for levelling characters and can only level ONE character. If any levelling needs to be done, I'll log in as DM and do it that way.

(Hobbes, if you are joining us, I'll level you up to equal the lowest level in the party currently).

2. As far as I know, there is no shop. So we are stuck with what we have. Hope we didn't use up all our healing in the sparring. (hobbes, I'll give you basic equipment, the rest will have to be begged, borrowed, pried from cold hands etc).

3. Rest does not appear to be timed. From the comments on NWN vault it seems to be area restricted. So, if any spellcasters need to rest, let us know and we will ALL go back until we hit somewhere you can relearn etc.

4. Again from comments, it appears that some encounters spawn right on top of you, so be careful about wandering away from the group.

Make sure you've all downloaded the hak pack. Intro movie is optional.

See you about 8 to 8:30 :)

out of curiosity, what is everyone's current level?

I'm 11th, 8th monk, 3rd rogue.

I think im also 11, full battle Cleric.

Dont worry about healing.. i can do that and i have loads of healing kits too i have never head to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

I can give potions and healingkits (am too much of a scott to use em myself :p). I'm also willing to lend out my longsword +1. I'd like to have it back thou. Or at least a normal longsword. I'll save spells as much as possible so you guys don't have to wait up for me too often, thus I'll utilize my x-bow and maybe even some off my enchanted bolts (but again... I'm too much of a scott to use em... I just bunker up on that stuff till my char gets wiped again)

cya
    - Flash

edit: oh yeah, level 8 wiz here. (at least I think it's 8... will check on server)

• Advertisement

I have some lightning crossbow bolts you can have if you need them. Have to make sure I have some normal ones as well though.

I should have a fair few healing kits left too. (i think. I used a fair few during the sparring at the end of last week's session).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hi newbie here with a few questions.

I've been playing NWN on and off for a while but mainly the single player game. I'm up to 7th level with a ranger (an archer i think). Anyway i'm in the 2nd chapter of the game so not too far yet. But i logged onto the multiplayer game yesterday and jumped straight into the online world. Thanks to some very helpful players i got a good feel for what it has to offer and enjoyed it a lot. Here;s my questions.

1. what would be the best way to play? should i join up with a particular server and level up from scratch?

2. Am I able to use my single player character? now i did use him online but on some servers i wasn't allowed and had to start a new one. The character is then stored in the server vault (am i right?)

3. Is a ranger any good? from reading some faqs i got the feeling this character isn't so popular. the thing was i wanted a character that was strong enough not to have to go running from every fight but still able to weild some good spells. So far, i know i'm only on level 7 i'm finding i have to rely a lot on my choice of henchmen while keep a careful eye on my hit points. annoying.

4. Have you got any recommendations for chars in the ranger class? (like i said, i'm pretty sure i'm an archer) I'm a bit lost really with all the options and feats. I'm worried i'll be wasting my time concentrating a particular area and find later its been a waste.
    in a get out way is there a way to start again and level up real quick in a certain way, even have a number of chars? does everyone level up online or in a single player game. I'm a bit suss about the LETO editor as i don't want to make a non ELC char not to mention that the char should prob be rpg'd to his level

any tips at all would be great. the online world seems great and i'd love to join in at some stage in the server you guys have going. TIA

quarryman

....just realised that's a lot to read - sorry for the waffle :rolleyes:

1. I dont know anyone that has played a single player campaign character online. I know you were supposed to be able to but many online servers do not allow outside characters onto their vault. Usually you have to create a new character and use that (a character can be exported and used offline however).

2. see one above. The main reason for this is not to contaminate a server. If you have a low magic server and someone imports a character that is overloaded with magic items, he can sell them for a fortune and effectively ruin the balance of your server.

3. The ranger is a very "front loaded" character class. IE: you get most of your abilities at low levels and then tend to slow down. A ranger is a very multipurpose character. He ahs high Hit points, good attack bonuses, good fighting abilities at low levels (a fighter pretty quickly passes him out with the bonus feats etc.) , magic at mid to high levels. However, trying to be good at everything usually results in being worse than everyone at everything. You should choose, arrows or melee, sneak or fight. and stick with it.

4. As an archer, you should take weapon focus bow, point blank shot, repid shot, have high dex, and a bonus from strength to make best use of mighty bow qualities. Take one level of rogue to get the sneak attack bonus (+1d6 damage if you catch them by surprise or they are otherwise engaged - note you have to be within 30ft for this to work, point blank shot gives you bonuses to hit at this range anyway). Eventually take Improved critical with the bow. It is not unusual to see high level rangers doing over 40 points of damage with a composite longbow and having 5 attacks a round. (now add haste on top of that! ouch).

You are more than welcome to join in. Just turn up (and make sure you have the necessary files downloaded and installed) between 8 and 8:30 on a monday to wednesday.. or take pot luck and see who's on the server during the week.

Create a new character and we will level him up enough to survive.

When i first started playing NWN online (months and months after beating the single player!) i did come across the campaign online with local vault character availability... I used my own character SparHawk from the SP game and being level 13 or so he kicked some ass.. hell he had red dragon armour and shield and some nice weapons.. very impressive character... I left and tried some others.. to be honest the best one i have come across so far is our own little gathering so quarryman you are welcome to join us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Well i must say after using a ranger character in the recent campaign game and in PnP ive become fairly attached to the class. Its very versatile. For example in the campaign game i was mainly a ranged support character(something the ranger is very good at) but if i was needed i could stand a couple of minutes in the front line.

One way of really improving a ranger is to beef up your dexterity to say 20. Get some magical leather armor(+1 etc) to get full dexterity bonus then take the weapon finesse feat. When using light weapons(short swords etc) you use your dexterity modifier instead of strength when deciding damage. With my elven ranger on the server i use 2 rapiers(another plus of the ranger class, no minus modifiers when wearing light armor and using two weapons). I also took improved critical with rapier so now they have a critical threat range of 15-20 so criticals are much more common. You can easily do 20 odd damage per round which aint bad for light weapons.

Another suggestion is to take a few levels in rogue. As a ranger you should have a nice hide and sneak score already so sneaking up on ppl to make sneak attacks should be easy. 5 lvls ranger and 5 lvls rogue is a fairly nice character, but you do need to find some nice equipment.

Last night was interesting to say the least.. no quests at all.. just a load of respawning baddies and lots of XP. A lot of people complained about the loot.. there was usually only about 20 gold or so in chests.. with the exception of one i got that had 10k... Likewise other loot like weapons and stuff.. few good things.. However the treasure chest i looted with the 10k had 2 nice weapons.. both need level 13 so useless at the moment to us. One i will use when i get to level 13 is the flame sword.. looks nice. The other was a fire mace but i dont know anyone who uses a mace so i sold it. Also had picked up some +3 weapons before... however the best thing about this mod was the merchants who gave more than usual for our stuff! So by the end of the mod after i was given all the money and sold everything we had over 115K or so to divide between the 4 of us that was left. Anyway it was 31K each i think... I reckon i was very fair since i could have spent the 51K i had before i sold the magic weapons and pooled the money.. then divided the rest.. i asked for suggestions first.. good thing as i wanted the golden circlet for 43K or so.. but Lolth said its cheaper by half in other mods so i will wait till next one :D

So money for all who stayed then.

The mod was written very early on in the release of NWN so it's is definitely not as polished as the later ones. The scenario it is based on is *very* basic. I just thought it would be a nice change of pace and might even be challenging (that centre room was a bit on the tough side.... that drow kept healing himself up - and blinded and deafened me!).

Next one should take a bit of a jump in toughness (frost giants!).

I bought a belt of hill giant strength out of my share, but I am missing my belt of inertial barrier :( . Doli can have the belt if he wants it as he would get more use out of it (and hasnt got much of a share so far). if anyone finds a belt of inertial barrier or damage reduction, can you give me a shout? :)

Interesting how we pretty much walked through the scenario though. It is balanced for approx 8 characters of 10th to 20th level! I'm going to have to think long and hard about the choice for the week after. Not too many classic PnP conversions left.

Advertisement