Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starter pack now €54, but what about the rest?

Options
  • 02-04-2003 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Always remember its E I R C O N you are dealing with and you will be ok :)

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

If you are looking for logic here, you are outta luck,
    this is Eircom's interim half-arsed response to market forces,
    they don't really have a coherant broadband plan moving forward (apart for maybe sweat the assets as much as possible to pay back this great big loan we took out to buy eircom in the first instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Editing the topic of this to forestall the Vat Inclusive brigade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Editing the topic of this to forestall the Vat Inclusive brigade :)

haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

well the starter package is at most 512 however once you get 256 they will tell you to f off and will not care. Also the contention ratio is 48:1 which is double that of the multi. so the slowest you will get on the starter is 5.3 and the slowest you will get on the multi is 42, so that is slightly bigger then 3 times the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

you will never really have a problem with contention ratios unless it gets very busy so dont worry about them imo.
    Personally i believe too much empahsis is put on contention ratios.
    You never hear of people having no bandwidth cos their contention ratio is maxed out. Your speed may drop if there are more people using it at a certain time but never to that extent.
    (thos this is eircom so you never know)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

On the subject of contention ratios, I have iStream Solo and can use it for voice over IP to north america almost all the time with excellent results. Between the hours of five and seven pm every day, it degrades to less than useable. I expect that is because either the DSL contention ratio is coming into play or further upstream, something is going on. Most people won't buy DSL for VoIP yet so I doubt that contention ratios will be a concern for a while yet.
    iwb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Your problems with VOip between 5-7 will be futher upstream. Download a file from north America between 5-7 and see the results.

Advertisement