Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDSN Connection times

Options
  • 02-04-2003 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

my chat with a very helpful eircom sales lady (GASP) revealed to me the following

Costs:

120 once off connection

37.50 per month

(eircom isdn modem : 99, draytek USB) << screw that

Limit of 3 miles from exchange

6 weeks before installed

6 weeks ? what the hell can possibly take 6 weeks !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

1. Don't get it tbh, unless you absolutely have too.

I have it and economically its terrible.

Also, d/l's are still slow at between 7 and 8 kb/s

The ups are good gaming ping times of around 50 - 70 on a good server (oceanfree isp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biker

I have it and economically its terrible

I have it and economically its the best thing available. It all depends on what you need it for. I need a second phone line (fax, internet access, vpn to corporate network). Two Pots lines are over 43EUR a month while ISDN "only" costs 37.50EUR.

And while I surf either phone or fax can be used for calls.

Also compare connection setup times between analogue modems (30 to 60 seconds) and ISDN (1 or 2 seconds).
    6 weeks before installed
    I'll move house shortly and when I rang eircom the answer was less than 1 week! 6 weeks is ridiculous.

cheers
    b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's definatly worth it if you have two lines already, as you save on line rental. And it you have anysort of fax/phone system going on, it helps alot.
    Took 2 weeks for me, but I know people who had to wait got 6 or more weeks. Look at Komplett for a cheap TA. You should be able to get a good one for about 40-50 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

WOuld the 6 week wait have anything to do with them loosing a load of high speed boxes due to lightning and not being able to replace em fast enough? or am i just talking out my arse? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Think about it though,

if RADSL becomes avaible under this package, it will become much much cheaper to uese the internet

The fact is ISDN is STILL dial-up which remains a rip off.

ofc, it will be alright by the time FRIACO becomes avaialble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I had to wait 4-5 weeks to get my Isdn lines in before christmas,

"Lightning damage"and "we have to give priority to existing
    customers" were the reason cited by the installers for the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

ordered in mid november

engineer called around about a fortnight ago to do the site survey.

Ended up cancelling the new line. Will have to wait for 30 working days for the isdn to be installed. I am not confident on it being done by then tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I got it because I got fed up with complaints from the family about the phone being always tied up (even though I pay the bill). No more complaints since.

Its still faster on downloads (64K-1 channel) than than my 56K modem, I get 7.5/8k sec.

I got the same story when I ordered it 7 months ago about taking 6 weeks to install. I ordered it on Thursday and the engineer called and installed it on the following Monday-4 days, so maybe you'll get lucky too.

To be honest though I'd hold off for a while with DSL getting cheaper unless you need 2 phone lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

ISDN using Eircom = CRAP!!!

ISDN using Esat = Crap!!!

ISDN using UTV = CRAP!!!

ISDN using Oceanfree = a World Worth Living In.

An actually ISDN using ELIVE = pretty good also

ISDN has become the only way, ppl like me can connect to the www for any sorth of worthwhile service in Ireland. The cost of it sucks, the DL's sucks/ everything about it sucks! When will everyone in Ireland learn how to make a statement about the internet and it's usage and how much it means, not only to the every day user, but the buisness users as well. Ireland is a shambles for any decent user of the Internet... period!

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

thanks for keeping it on topic OHP :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

They say 6 weeks to be safe, you'll probably get it within 2 weeks, I know a guy who got ISDN in carrigaline recently and he got it in 3 days. It took me 8 days, most people around two weeks afaik. I know someone who was waiting 6 months, because the exchange was full or something.

Tbh OHP, ISDN for gaming is quite good. It's got the slight advantage over broadband in that if you ping badly, just switch isp.

I find Eircom gives decent ping and good dload speeds while i use via networks isdn for pinging good to places that eircom doesnt.

Moral of story, ISDN aint too bad for gamers.

Tbh BK. To get a fairly good ISDN service depends totally on where you live in regards to and exchange or what actual ISDN modem you are using ( or so I thought ) But after using Eircons supplied ISDN modem and several others and also using several different ISP's on the same computer at and from different locations. I have drawn my on conclusion, based on using Oceanfree as a Model ISDN supplier if have found the rest to be totally inadequate. Oceanfree totally surpassed every other ISP no matter what Modem I used or distance I was from my nearest exchange. Sorry if I went a bit off topic Gone Shootin but
    (eircom isdn modem : 99, draytek USB) << screw that

Limit of 3 miles from exchange

6 weeks before installed
    When I had ISDN installed the Eircon modems cost me £175 a piece ( not Euro's ) But when I tried to use their service it was totally CRAP! and still is CRAP compared to Oceanfree. My home is actually just over 5 miles form the nearest exchange. My line still passed for ISDN for Eircon but if I actually go back to my old 56k modem and use Oceanfree it is 10 times better then Eircon. Hmm sorry if im ranting off but it just makes me soo angry to see anyone else falling for the Eircon ISDN trap!

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Originally posted by OHP
    falling for the Eircon ISDN trap!
    OHP

ISDN is a decent connection. 56k is not. There is no "Eircom ISDN" trap. The cost of ISDN is very clear. Its less than 56k if you require 2 lines and worth the difference if you dont.

Fair enough OHP but the modem supplied by Eircom is dire and i wouldnt touch with any sort of barge pole.
    I always found oceanfree laggy and spikey but from a dload point of view i dont know. They did however give me my best ping to the states(as long as i could stand the spikes and extra bit of lag)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

6 weeks is what the eircom Biddies are told to tell you. On account of the engineers love of chairs.

If you bug and bug and bug and make up loads of excuses for the Biddie to give you the number of the technition that deals with your area, you can ring him up personally.

What he'll say is "Sure, grand any time this week will do. Are you free tomorrow."

At least that's what I've got every time I've got through to them after being told to wait 4-8 weeks. (I've gotten 4 isdn lines installed in my various tenancies. :))

In which case you should have it next early next week. :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Oh and by the way.

Don't get it.

Wait for broadband if at all possible.

:)

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    ISDN is a decent connection. 56k is not. There is no "Eircom ISDN" trap. The cost of ISDN is very clear. Its less than 56k if you require 2 lines and worth the difference if you dont.
    Me caought another Eircon RAT!! Now Shussssssssssh!

OHP

PS OOOOPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

ehh, what?

you make no sense,

ISDN is billed monthly @30.99 a month ex VAT
    this is not less than a pstn line, which are billed bi-monthly as far as i remember

as for the rest of what you said.......................well, actually........hmmmmmm

Am I the only person who can't understand that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I believe he means that ,for those who require 2 lines (either phone and internet or whatever else), the ISDN option is cheaper than getting in 2 PSTN lines and that, even if you don't need 2 lines, the difference in speed is worth it.

• Advertisement

If you open your ISDN modem to 128k you tie up both your phones + pay for 2 calls and you do not even double the your download speed? I tried it trying to download a huge file a bit faster but got just 9.45kps connected at 128k. Tbh if you were allowed a full ISDN 128k connection at the price of the 56k connection it would not be that bad. But considering the cost of it and the fact that ADSL is just around the corner. I would go for ADSL if I could get it.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

took about 2 months for mine to be installed and thats with bleeting at them every week :(

woot for dsl now tho \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

they said 6 weeks to me too, but it took 3 days before they were out. The guy was pretty good at running the cable upstairs. Quite neat. Connection times and lack of timeouts and twice the real speed makes the difference.

Advertisement