Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Cabinteely

Options
  • 31-03-2003 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hey all,

Who here lives out in Cabinteely and what service will you be you using? I mean like Eircom, Digiweb, Irish Wisp(when they come...IF they come) etc etc...

I dont have a choice really what to go for because no one serves Cabinteely except for ****Com who i dislike for many reasons...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Hey,
    I live beside Cabinteely and yes.. there are shag all options here..

Wireless
    - We are just outside Irish WISP's coverage
    - Irish Broadband don't cover this area at all
    - Leap.. not sure if there is coverage here, but at €120/month, I'll stick with dial-up thanks very much

DSL
    - EsatBT have no plans for ADSL in the Roachestown exchange
    - My line has failed for Eircom's current ADSL service

Cable
    - ntl.. pahh.. 5-10 year wait I've heard I'm to expect
    - Chorus.. this is not a franchise area

If only one company could get their act together they could mop up on Broadband. So far they're all pathetically limited, with either atrocious coverage, sky high prices or ludicrous download caps affecting them.
    For those who say the southside get all the broadband.. we're certainly not seeing much of it in Cabinteely!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

yeh i live in cabinteely at the mo too, i wrote a thread on how feckin' difficult it is to get broadband in cabinteely a few days ago. our only hope is if Irish WISP or IBB put a transmitter on killiney hill. i asked Irishwisp and they said they had plans to put one there but couldn't give me a date to as when. it would be a gold mine for them tho' if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

I dont often post reply's (guess u can tell that from the post count of the left)

but Ive heard this so many times now it's really getting frustrating....

If there are no broadband services in you area, then bring the services to you, can be easily achived using wireless techonlogies.

I'm posting this message using a 1mbit ADSL service in a friends house which is approx 2miles from my apartment.

the frequency being used is requires no license and there is no planning permisson requirements for any antenna under 18ft above the roof top.

If your are serious about getting broadband and quickly check out www.irishwan.org

post a message on the board and you'll find others in your area and share the cost of a decent connection with someone who is resonably close, and connected to an upgraded exchange.

we have had a network up and running now for a few months now, gaming, file sharing etc etc speeds from PC to PC at around 450-500kbit/sec transferring an MP3 from a friends house in about 15 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I live in cabinteely village & I'm suppsed to be getting my leap connection in this afternoon I know its expensive but what ya goin to do eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭martinikarl

Just a note on Cabinteely coverage.

Cabinteely is within range of the Irish WISP transmitter on 3-rock. The terrain does make it difficult, however. Much of cabinteely is situated on a hill that faces away from 3-rock and this is a black-spot. If you live near the dual-carriageway, particularly east of it, the chances are much better.

We don't charge for failed line-of sight tests.

Regards,
    Karl Martini
    www.irishwisp.net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Hey Karl,

Thanks for the reply. I live near Cabinteely Community School, not sure which side of the dual carriageway thats on. Are my chances good or bad? I will be sorting out a LOS with you anyway...

Thanks!

East of the Dual carriageway would be on the Irish Sea side....The Killiney/Johnstown road side.

It's bad to be on the side of the hill between Brennanstown road and the Old Bray Rd

hey,

thats what i wanted to hear. just one more question, i live in St Gabriels in an appartment. Are there any restrictions about putting the antenna thingy on top? I dont live in the main block. i live in a seperate one on the top floor. There is one floor below which is occupied by other people. Can i still get this antenna on the roof? I dont have a chimney...so id need the other installation...

Thanks!

You'll probably have to clear it with your landlord. We have many mounting options for people without chimneys.

Oh its not the landlord since I own it. its more the management of the area. I dont know if i can do this or not. Im awaiting a call back tomorrow but i dont see how it can be a problem since its my place.

Theres so many stupid little regulations these days...

How tall is the pole that goes on top?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

The pole is quite small. We cut it down to about 5 foot if you have clear line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Let me know if you manage to get installed and get coverage.. I'm only down the road from you
    Originally posted by 50Cent
    Oh its not the landlord since I own it. its more the management of the area. I dont know if i can do this or not. Im awaiting a call back tomorrow but i dont see how it can be a problem since its my place.

Theres so many stupid little regulations these days...

How tall is the pole that goes on top?

Thanks in advance

Will do. Are you in Gabriels too or on Johnstown road?

St Gabriels......I've consulted the map. Yes, you're on the East side of the Dual-carriageway. I'd say you have quite a good chance of success.

We had a successful LOS test very close to you recently on the Johnstown Rd.

Thats cool...I cant wait till I get the phone call from the management. I really hope they let me do this... If they dont allow me to, im going to cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

"i live in St Gabriels in an appartment" oh do u now? tres posh :D

hehe sounds good andy, Cabo is on the edge of the coverage map, does this mean that becoz its far away from the antenna that it will be slower??? Also can u hook up ur cabling to a pringles container and it works just as good as an antenna?

Regarding reduced speeds at greater distances....this would be true if we served marginal areas. We must have a strong enough signal to guarantee certain speeds in bad weather so there's a built in buffer.

Unfortunately, there are many issues at play with RF propogation at high frequencies/low power so a site survey is always the best way to be sure.

The coverage map is more art than science and has been drawn from the failed/successful installs we've had.
    Distance and line of sight are essential but fresnal zone interferance also comes into play and further muddies the water. Click for lesson. http://www.ydi.com/calculation/fresnel-zone.php

In short, if you're not sure or you're on the edge of the coverage map, call us and well do a site survey for you. There's no charge if the survey fails.
    If we can't get a you a quality signal we won't sell the service to you. We'd rather disapoint customers at the outset than sign them up and have them frustrated every time the fog/rain rolls in.

Hope this helps

Karl Martini
    www.irishwisp.ie

Great work!

Yelnahs, I passed the Eircom test today, according to their web site. so thats my last resort. Im hoping that this phone call will come pretty quick...cos it would be so slick if i got it through someone else besides Eircom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ugreevy

After coming across this thread last week I decided to give Irish Wisp a call. I have being unsuccessfully trying to get a BB connection at home for almost a year.

Well I gotta say im really impressed. Wihin a week of calling them i now (at last!) have a really fast BB connection. They did LOS, signal test and installation all on the same afternoon (about 90 minutes) and I can finally throw out my 56k modem!

I thought I was borderline for the LOS/signal test (according to their map) and wasnt going to bother calling them but im sure glad i changed my mind!!

Im located close to the clonkeen road just behind the grange pub in Deansgrange so anyone looking for a broadband in this area should certainly contact Irish wisp.

u

Due to the fact of where im living I am unable to get an antenna on my roof, the balcony or anywhere which basically sucks but I recently passed the eircom line test which was alright i suppose because i can get bband but i dont really want to go with eircom because i just dont like dealing with them, BUT if i have too, i will.

But i just did the test on http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html to see if i passed the test and i did and thats brilliant. Its available in my area and i will get it in May when their deal starts. Its cheaper than eircom as you can see below.
    Connection Modem Monthly Cost
    IOL Broadband €190 No Charge** €49.49
    eircom i-stream €199.65 €145.20 €54.45

all prices inclusive of VAT ** modem remains property of Esat BT

Not that much cheaper and you can get your own modem for cheap, but I aint in a huge rush for it and It would probably help me out a bit more if i get it when my exams are over i.e. May so Im easy. And even though, IOL tried cutting me off before on the No Limits, they didnt...so i like them:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement