Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

board chat

Options
  • 29-03-2003 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi can't log into the board chat room

error being received

Unable to connect: acessed denied (java.net. SocketPermission ign.ie.quakenet.org resolve)

anyone explain this to me it worked fine before

thanks

data

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

My literal interpretation of the error message is that your local java platform doesn't allow the applet to resolve hostnames, so it can't find the correct IP for the irc server.

Is this from where you work? Can you do an nslookup of ign.ie.quakenet.org from the command line? Can you telnet from your machine to port 6667 on ign.ie.quakenet.org ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

no this is from home, i know i installed recently opera with sun java does this make a difference?

Yeah, that would be a good explanation. The policy file for the opera browser probably prevents any network connections to a server other than where the applet was downloaded from.

Then again, I was under the impression that any browser would prevent such a network connection, so perhaps people are putting the boards applet or boards.ie into a "trusted zone" or equivilent to get it to work?

i tried to connect through IE but still had the same problem, also when i open IE i get the java cup in my system tray which i didn't have previously, this doesn't happen with opera.

The Sun VM has probably replaced the Microsoft VM.

• Advertisement

VM is that virtual machine stuff is it? i have ms java vm as a file on my computer could i just uninstall sun and install that?

I think that would solve it, but I have no idea if java would then work with opera.

Advertisement