Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Install DSL

Options
  • 27-03-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭

From e-news in the indo today

its says that eircom has informed comreg that it intends to introduce a self install service for DSL . This is estimated to drastically reduce or even eliminate connection fees ( why don't i believe this part ).Esat are expected to follow suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

from eircom's adsl website
    eircom i-stream starter
    The product has both a USB or Ethernet option.
    Speeds 512Kbps downstream/128Kbps upstream*
    Connection fee is 165 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 45 excl. VAT
    Additional equipment required ADSL USB modem 120 excl. VAT or ADSL Ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT.
    The monthly download allowance is 4GB**

eircom i-stream starter self-install
    For a single user, on a single computer

The product has both a USB or Ethernet option
    Speeds 512Kbps downstream/128Kbps upstream*
    Connection fee is 81.81 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 45 excl. VAT
    Additional equipment required ADSL USB modem 120 excl. VAT or ADSL Ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT.
    The monthly download allowance is 4GB**

These are the two new eircom adsl products, available for order from 11th April 2003. As of today eircom is claiming that both products will be available for delivery from that date.

If you are accuratly quoting the phrase "drastically reduce or even eliminate connection fees " it would indicate that the indo's journalistic standards and accuracy are in the toilet as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

basically it is €99 self install, €199 engineer install and you also need a modem which range from €150 up.

So the total is €249 for self install and €349 for engineer install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by STaN
    basically it is €99 self install, €199 engineer install and you also need a modem which range from €150 up.

Aside from the tiny little detail that eircom i-stream appears to be only available to business customers still....

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by zz03
    Aside from the tiny little detail that eircom i-stream appears to be only available to business customers still....

zz..

Thats what they seem to be aiming for, but in reality it doesnt matter. Sure all you have to say is i have a home office, but in reality it doesnt matter to them once they have your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

If you check the "Home" section on eircom.ie you'll see i-stream "starter"will be available on April 11th.
    Prices are quoted including vat.

Can't link due to the session ids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Not if you buy a modem for 80 euro or even less from someone other than eircom.

Also, does anyone know if those who already have a line installed have to pay installation (i.e. those who did the trial)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ive passed ESATS ADSL line test and ive failed EIRCOMS online test, does that mean I definitely cannot get it or does it mean diddly squat and i should ring eircom

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Nahh. Esat have done some exchanges that eircom haven't. eircom may not even have their equipment in your exchange and you can still pass esat's test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Thats what they seem to be aiming for, but in reality it doesnt matter. Sure all you have to say is i have a home office, but in reality it doesnt matter to them once they have your business.

You are missing the point! Eircom are advertising a so called consumer product offering quoting VAT exclusive prices to make it look cheaper than it is by putting a "business" header over the listing. Illegal. Misleading. Misuse of media.

The fact that one can pay the high price they demand and get eircom DSL installed on a residential line is surely irrelevant?

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

How do you 'Self Install' ADSL? Can it be done on an ISDN line? I have read in another post that and ISDN has a lot of power going through it. And if you install it yourself ermm why is there a charge for it? I'm a bit lost is I.

OHP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Also, does anyone know if those who already have a line installed have to pay installation (i.e. those who did the trial)?

Well everyone with a phone line already has the line installed. The 99euro's I'm sure is an activation fee rather than a connection fee. Which is kinda bah humbug-ish seeing as I still have the splitter, works fine as a two-way adapter :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by OHP
    How do you 'Self Install' ADSL? Can it be done on an ISDN line? I have read in another post that and ISDN has a lot of power going through it. And if you install it yourself ermm why is there a charge for it? I'm a bit lost is I.

OHP

The Self install version is a plug in micro filter you plug the filter into the phone socket and then into your DSL adapter this will split out the DSL part of the spectrum there is no danger to you as it will be no more difficult than plugging a phone into a socket. I think they should rename the charge to activation fee and you pay it because in the exchange a pair of cables has to be run from the frame to the dslam for each new customer aswell as that there is some configuration involved.

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by OHP
    How do you 'Self Install' ADSL? Can it be done on an ISDN line?

Eircom say " Self install is not available to those availing of the the option to migrate from ISDN"

Eircom also say "The option to migrate from ISDN is not available yet"

Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

can you order this service now, i know its not availible but can u ask them to come say in 2 weeks when the prices have been lowered, becoz the prices drop on the 11th, and if u ask for it then u have to wait 2-3 weeks for installation i presume???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Doing a quick calc on the back of a fag packet.....

€199 install
    €145 Modem
    €54.45 per month

Year one cost of €1000.00 more or less

I find myself unimpressed.....

Mind you could get modem for less and do the self install.....but a €1000 hit per user for eircom is nice gravy.

Also if you want to add line rental to this of €20 per month that comes to €1240 per annum before standard inflated call charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by crawler

Also if you want to add line rental to this of €20 per month that comes to €1240 per annum before standard inflated call charges...

We have been through this and we wont be adding line rental to that. Plus its not per anumm, its one year only :)

Dustaz in my defence - I did say "if you want" so it depends on your point of view...I agree with leaving it out...

And in my other defence - I did say "year one".

You pee'd at me for 1) working for a telco or 2) being evil about your €10 dsl post?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im not pee'd at anyone, im just back from holidays so im full of love :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Vote Ming!

Welcome back Dusty. Heh.

adam

MING is a hell of a nice guy....if you are talking about the lad from Roscommon....interesting point of view on "herbal remedies" too.....bit off topic by me I think.....

Welcome Back Dusty.....well missed....it's just wasnt "moderated" the same here without ya! The love thing....it wont last - this country will beat it out of you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement