Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 / 3 day week and Social Welfare.

Options
  • 25-03-2003 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Lo laeds,
    The company I'm working for is in financial difficulty and are cutting my hours down to 2 or 3 days (to be finalised in the next day or so) a week (not that i'm too bothered as it'll give me time to work on other stuff). A friend mentioned that I can get a letter from the company saying my hours have been cut and get almost my usual wage (maybe a €20 cut) out of the Social Welfare locally. Does anyone know about this or have any info.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

UPDATE.

I've basically answered my own question, but in case anyone's interested. If this happens to you, the local social welfare office will ask for the following:

Long Version of Birth Certificate,
    Proof of Residence,
    Photographic ID,
    Social Welfare Card,
    Detail of Earnings.

They will then provide unemployment benefit for the days your not working (and as long as you have enough stamp).
    They pay you for up to 6 days (€124.80) but as I'm working for 2 days, i'll only get 4 days (€83.20) which is pish. So after combining my 2 days and benefit i'll take around a €90 hit in earnings for the week & i'll have 3 days of contemplating my existence, pish arís.... at least I won't get taxed...

All details are here:
    http://oasis.gov.ie/employment/losing_your_job/unemployment_benefit.html

Anyone any ideas how I can legally swindle ( is that a contradiction? :) ) the government to get work for those 3 days and not lose my benefits? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,319 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few things.

You may be entitled to a small tax free lump sum for being made part-time.

Ask Social Welfare if you can get / do training / study.

Ask Social Welfare if there is anyhing else you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Originally posted by Victor
    A few things.

You may be entitled to a small tax free lump sum for being made part-time.

Ask Social Welfare if you can get / do training / study.

Ask Social Welfare if there is anyhing else you are entitled to.

Tax free lump sum you say? Can you elaborate m8? I know im not entitled to any form of redundancy type payment as I haven't been here for 2 years yet (16th July 2001 is when I commenced work) although by that date you never know, I might become redundant.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement