Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[FR] ADSL from 15.95 euros per month, includes gratuit (free) modem

Options
  • 25-03-2003 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Tiscali, they are Europes biggest ISP or at the very least one of the biggest (they also own Freeserve, the UK's biggest ISP according to their recent advertising campaign) have launched a watered down ADSL package for 15.95 euros a month in France. This is a promotional offer, but still not bad even after that.

There is no cap. A faster version is available for 29.95. Free modems for all. Available to 96% of the population in France now.

Edit: Sorry forgot, more details at:
    http://register.tiscali.fr/forfaits/signup.php3?goto=ADSL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

In the long term Free.fr are probably a better offer. They seem to be popular there, and it's 29.99 euros per month, you get a free modem, specs are the same as Eircom (512 down, 128 up), except that there is no cap:
    http://adsl.free.fr/

They also offer a regular dialup package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Lets leave aside the Capped €16 product while we compare the typically inferior French product to our premium price (Biddy Inside or maybe Powered By Biddy) DSL variant.

Uncapped 512/128 €29.99 a month
    Line Rental in France c €14 a month

(all Figures lnclude VAT French Line Rental from Page 6 of This doc + 25% VAT and rounded up)

I make that €44 or so a month for Uncapped 512/128 and Line Rental, tout compris comme on dit ! . But that is IMPOSSIBLE mes amis, this does not happen in Europe. It CAN NOT be done .

Contract this dismal French product with the fantastic premium product that we have here in Ireland.

Capped 512/128 €54.45
    Line Rental in Ireland €21.15

(all Figures lnclude VAT)

I make that €75.60 or so a month for the Capped 512/128.

I have not added the cost of the Modem in either, that would take the superior Irish product over €80 a month if I averaged the cost into the first year.

I'm sure ours is much better than the French one though, have you even seen French Trains or Roads or Weather or Cafés bah!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Yes I believe I noticed a board member saying that our "new" DSL offering was comparable to other offerings but of course, in reality, is vastly overshadowed by other products both in speed and set up costs which still, in my opinion, will remain prohibitive to take up.
    I am 100% certain that you will find , 1) much faster services, 2) cheaper monthly rate, 3) much larger cap and 4) reasonable set up costs as opposed to the Rat's empty your pockets, we have over paid executives to feed, fees.
    Case in point, Cyprus, a tiny (divided) island.
    What you get for €~21 a month there = 640kbps DSL (not sure about cap, don’t think there is one), no set up costs.
    That is what a real broadband connection should be if, €ircon, or anyone else for that matter was serious about pushing DSL in a major way in the E-Tub.
    This is the type of product they should have especially if Ireland is to have any hope of overtaking the mighty Dominican Republic for broadband readiness.
    It’s also vital to note that these products are available now and have been in a lot of cases for several years while we patiently wait for the submission on the report on the consultation of the other report, which was lost, and subsequently another report was issued on the consultation on the other report (which was lost…………..

http://www.cytanet.com.cy/netrunner/moreg.html#1

Advertisement