Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range of exchanges

Options
  • 23-03-2003 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

This bit of news is for those who are outside the range of the exchanges by a couple of km to be able to get dsl.
    I went into an eircom place on henry street (limerick) to find out some more about the dsl service, appearently im out of range, but the woman i spoke to informed me that eircom would be extending the range of most of their exchanges which are dsl enabled by 10-11km between 6-12 months, while n mid conversation she then told me that I would have to wait at least 8 months :).

I hope this news is of help to those who did not know this and whoare out of range by some few km (I wouldn't go completely nuts about it cause they could reduce the range or make the time longer for it to deploy)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1. Complex. Eircom stated off deploying ADSL and are adding a new product called RADSL , it should provide the floor level of 256k at 6KM if the wires are OK

2. Other flavours or variants could go even further, but will be slower. IDSL and MSDSL are 2 candidates.

3. The thickness of standard cable plays a part as this PDF explains (Page 3). Eircom use the 0.5mm cable which indicates that they could deploy MSDSL to get the distances you refer to.

4. MSDSL could go 10.5Km at 64k or 10.2KM at 192k. It appears that Eircom will not pass your lien if it is sub 256k so that would tend to restrict the product to 9.7Km or so according to the PDF. IDSL and the Midband product deployed by BT recently are 128k products, one is a kludged IDSN line. IDSL goes to 11km IDSL

In short, eircon must add another DSL product to their existing and new ones.

It is also feasible to deliver 256-512k products over wireless kit which could welly it out by 20KM or so if you have line of sight. Eircom have the masts and the kit and the licences for these products but are in mortal fear of being made to offer these products widely by Comreg or the Minister of Communications.

Advertisement