Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon Offerings

Options
  • 22-03-2003 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

My advice to everyone would be to sit back bite your lip and wait! ( although im not much of a person for giving advice ).
    The one thing I would say though is that people should
    NOT! take up any offer by Eircon no matter how great they make it look. We all have waited this long for a better service and now it is becoming available we should let the dust settle for a while. For people that want to take up their offer I would urge ye to remember whom ye are dealing with and what they have done to us in the past even up to now. So just hang in there.

OHP

Yes I am Anti Eircon.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

I am with you, better wait for UTVIP to come up with an option

and remember Eircom has robbed us for many years and if we give up now they will keep doing it for many more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by molinaalexis
    I am with you, better wait for UTVIP to come up with an option

Don't hold your breath on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't hold your breath on that

You know something we don't? They've said all along that they plan to offer DSL if and when it became possible for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I feel the same way OHP. I'm with UtvIp and begrude Eircon the line rental I pay every two months. I've waited this long for broadband, I can wait longer.

Neither would I consider any DSL/Broadband product from ESHAT after the way they treated the Nolimits 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

tbh im gonna take the best deal that most suits me no matter who it comes from. Atm im looking at the esat/ibb offers.
    Hopefully ibb if they can get the finger out in belmont otherwise ill prob go with eshat seeing as the ping times seem pretty decent.

I will however wait for the next round of offerings i think (and therefore for ibb ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

While there is merit in the arguments put forward by both OHP and B-K-DzR, there is also a third way.

Use the Eircom service for now, and when cheaper/better alternatives become available, move and leave Eircom with lots of lovely overheads and greatly reduced revenues. Just like voice traffic today where it is possible to cherry pick and move your international calls to swift/century-home, while eircom have to keep all those van loads of cabling technicians on the payroll.

A lot of people here will need to move to ADSL for one of two reasons, the need for speed or the need for a fixed cost. I say go for it, and when UTV or some other customer focussed company (which obviously excludes ESAT) has a product - JUMP SHIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

How the hell can you simply jump ship though if you've signed a 12 month contract with Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

As soon as I have gotten my IBB connection I will ditch eircom and NEVER return to take a service from them again. Even the thought of some of my money going from an alternative phone provider to eircom for use of their copper sickens me. The sooner I can abandon all dealings with them (and look back once to spit on them), the better.

As my rhetoric may indicate, I had decided this a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Yeah I'm a big IBB fanboy myself. I think pretty much everyone here is saying the same thing, sod Eircom and viva la IBB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by OHP
    My advice to everyone would be to sit back bite your lip and wait! ( although im not much of a person for giving advice ).
    The one thing I would say though is that people should
    NOT! take up any offer by Eircon no matter how great they make it look. We all have waited this long for a better service and now it is becoming available we should let the dust settle for a while. For people that want to take up their offer I would urge ye to remember whom ye are dealing with and what they have done to us in the past even up to now. So just hang in there.
    so in 6 months time, when only 37 people have yaken up eircoms offer of ADSL for €54/month, just now many alternative companies do you think will be making plans to get into that market?

Cop yourselves on, lads - if nobody buys it from eircom, there won't BE anyone else to buy it from. If there's no-one buying, then there's no way to make money by selling, and no sane business manager is going to invest on the off-chance that people who figure that they can wait another year are really going to get off the fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They'll get enough business from the regular Joe's who don't know anything about IOFFL or how evil eircom are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Admore is right. Go for the best available deal at the time. I took up the solo deal last year and I was satisfied with it. DSL will always come from eircom, UTVIP will just be resellers. Outside Dublin wireless is not a option. It would be very foolish to stay on 56k to teach eircom some sort of lesson. Eircom dont give a **** what you do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think there'll be a fair few people even on this forum who will sign up immediately simply because they've waited long enough and will take broadband from Eircom even though they might be loathe to do so.

Other's will wait a short time to see if any options emerge before signing up for a year with Eircom.

The majority initially, will either not be on one of the upgraded exchanges, will be out of range or have crap lines and will have to wait anyway. This is one of the reasons why flat rate dial-up remains so very important for now.

Advertisement