Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloppy journalism breeds ignorance and public confusion

Options
  • 20-03-2003 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

This morning's Indo has an article headed "Always-on net deals will cost €30/month".

Wow I say to myself, DSL prices are getting closer to reality in Ireland!

When I read the article it is nothing to do with DSL at all. It's about FRIACO at EUR 30 per month.

FRIACO has nothing to do with "always on".

On the contrary, one can be guaranteed that your connection will be dropped if it is inactive for a few minutes!

zz..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

On the contrary, one can be guaranteed that your connection will be dropped if it is inactive for a few minutes!

'tis fair enough FRIACO isn't really designed to cope with being on 24/7. Who was the journo ... will pick a copy of the paper at lunch and sell him the party line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by zz03
    Sloppy journalism breeds ignorance and public confusion

and there was me ready to tick off Jamie Smyth again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Article:
    Always-on net deals will cost €30/month

IRISH computer users will be offered a flat rate, always-on internet service for just under €30 per month in June, if successful negotiations between incumbent Eircom and other operators, like Esat BT and UTV, continue.

Yesterday, UTV Internet said that its existing UTVip customers and new subscribers who sign up before June 1 will pay no more for the new product than they do for their existing internet access service.

The existing service from UTVip is €29.99. Market sources said that companies like Esat BT and Eircom are also expected to offer a service at €30 per month.

The development follows on from the acceptance by the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) of a wholesale rate of €14,728 per annum from Eircom for the introduction of the service known as Flat Rate Internet Access Call Origination (FRIACO). This translates as a basic monthly charge of €12.77 - although there are other administrative and process charges that will be added to this figure, which applies to a 2 megabit connection per annum.

UTV Internet is the first operator to say its service will be available from June, but its managing director, Scott Taunton, added that the exact pricing is still being negotiated.

The Minister For Communications, Dermot Ahern, directed the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) to set deadlines for the introduction of FRIACO by June.

The agreement on a wholesale rate came after a two-year battle between Eircom and ComReg, with the incumbent consistently dragging its heels on the issue and the regulatory body insisting the figure be cost-oriented.

Ireland is one of the last countries in Europe to offer consumers a FRIACO service.

Ailish O'Hora

Am I likely to be correct in thinking that the Indo have someone assigned to sweep through this board every morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by sceptre
    Article: ... Yesterday, UTV Internet said ...
    Am I likely to be correct in thinking that the Indo have someone assigned to sweep through this board every morning?
    I doubt it - Scott Taunton of UTV posted this information on boards a week ago, not yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ardmore
    I doubt it - Scott Taunton of UTV posted this information on boards a week ago, not yesterday.
    Indeed (you're more awake than I am this morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

incorrectly titled by Ailish.....but then again the Indo is a complete rag these days....should have read "flat free Internet...blah blah" Another Coup for Ailish - well done.

Advertisement