Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip Echange has been upgraded

Options
  • 19-03-2003 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just to let some of yee's know, The leixlip exchange was upgraded there last week. I was on the phone to Eircom and the woman on the phone said that she could do a line test.... on my ISDN line and that very shortly (with in the next week or two) they will be able to set ISDN line to ADLS with out you having to downgrade to PSDN first.(how ever she did tell me that the install cost will more than likely change, but she didn't say if it will be more or less) Has anyone heard anything about this?

I know our every own snaga has gotten a line test and failed. But they didn't tell him why, does anyone know if they have to tell you or not?

I'm also looking at getting the I-stream Multi 1Mb down 256up setup with the 6Gig cap. I know I have to sign a 1 year contract with them, I dont mind that (lets face it no other bb will be out my way anytime soon) what I want to know is, if I sign the contract, and the price drops, do I still have to pay the €168? or will my price drop as well? Would any one be able to put up a quote or point me to one of the 1 year contract? I want to take a look at it well be for hand.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭aliesneo

Comreg order eircom to allow ppl to drop down to the cheaper price if or when it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

LEIXLIP BAH!

Just called 1800 512 128 (They probably know my voice at this stage) and the Balbriggan exchange is due for upgrade at the end of the month!!! WOOHOO :)

She said they just got a list of 30 more exchanges being upgraded ATM :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

aye, despite being a 5 minute (literally) walk from my local exchange I got a failure notice, hurrah.

Eircom bloke -
    "But that is not the be all and end all as our new product launched later this month will have a much increased range and all the ports will be retested when this goes live"

Nothing really new as far as news goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Well, I'm in the Ryevale area of leixlip, and yup my line is apparently 98% capable, so looks like I'll be getting 1Mbit down ever so soon. Is there any chance that anybody near me would want to possible use WAN to use the line aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

There is indeed, I have been wanting to setup a Wireless WAN in lexlip for a few weeks now. I'll be getting the 1mg one my-self if I pass. But I would still like to get a WAN going. I habe an Access point my-self all you would need is a network card and the right antena. Only prob about leixlip is that it is so hilly. I'm in Cedar Park my-self. I'll PM you later when I get home and we can see what can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I'm told by Eircon the Lucan Exchange is also upgraded, however I got a different story about ISDN.

Eircon told me they couldn't test my ISDN line without dropping back to PSTN first, but the REALLY galling part is they told me I'd have to pay to revert to PSTN, have my line tested and then if it failed PAY AGAIN to have it upgraded back to ISDN.

She must have felt the heat rising under my collar down the line because I was cut off a couple of seconds later (no I wasn't abusive, never got the chance). She didn't call back and neither did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Afaik (and I checked it with a few eircom engineers) you do have to pay to have your line downgraded before taking the test and if you fail, you do have to pay to have it upgraded again. This could literally cost €200+ for anyone that eircom, through thier own incompetence, cannot supply a dsl service to. If the few engineers I was talking to are right. (And I wouldn't accept anything an eircom biddie tells you.)

A couple of the engineers however, when talked nicely to, said that they would be able to downgrade the line, test it, and upgrade it again all in the one callout. Whether the full charge goes through or not is up to them.

That's all I've picked up over my constant annoying of eircom staff back when I thought I was going to pay for I-Stream.

Now is that a service or what.

Aye, thats what I was told ages ago by an engineer. But I called last week and and was told this, I rang again today and was told the same thing that they can test my ISDN line. and that in a short while (one or two weeks) they will be able to switch over from ISDN to ADSL with out downgrading first.

As for prices,
    It costs €25 to go from ISDN to PSDN and then €200 or so to got to ADSL.

I'll let you's know whats the story when I hear back from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by oisin
    Eircon told me they couldn't test my ISDN line without dropping back to PSTN first, but the REALLY galling part is they told me I'd have to pay to revert to PSTN, have my line tested and then if it failed PAY AGAIN to have it upgraded back to ISDN.
    And that was true when you were told it. But the situation is changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Oh you little cracker, ill ring eircom tomorrow for a test. Sorry to hear about the fail eric :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

They do actually have to test your line while it is a PSTN line. An ISDN line is no good. So to have the test done you have to be downgraded but whether the charges go through for the downgrading and upgrading of the line is up to the technitions.

ISDN is run through an digital modem line while DSL is run through an ordinary PSTN line.

All that is done to downgrade an ISDN line is that a modem is taken from the exchange. This, apparently, costs you €129. Last time I checked. And €129 to get it slotted back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I know that this may sound stupid to ask, but would you be able to bear with me? Thanks.

The stupid question:
    Is Leixlip in Kildare? And if it is, how far is it from Naas? And, are there any other exchanges in Kildare (if Leixlip is there) that have been upgraded?

Yes, Leixlip is in kildare. Its very close to Dublin, just off the boarder. I believe naas is about 15 miles from leixlip but i don't know weither there is any other exchanges in Kildare upgraded.

Theres three exchanges in leixlip alone, apparently im on the LEXG Leixlip exchange. Going to ring shortly to see if ours has been upgraded and if i can pass the line test. We have isdn installed so ill probably only able to find out if my line is good distance wise, not quality.

****ing ****ing ****e, failed.

Chances of rdsl ect, but still.

So they where able to test your ISDN line then? Why the hell haven't I heard back from them. Its only been a week like... come on eircom!!!!

Yes she tested it, told me i failed. They're probably waiting till they have more info on the tech you were talking about allowing ADSL to be installed on an ISDN line..

Im pissed off myself, five thousand people living up the hill in confey, i was swearing there would be a single exchange for us so id deffiently be in range. There either is and ive got my coppers wrapped half way around the island and back or there isn't and its down past mainstreet. Either way ill be waiting for RDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Do eircom have to tell you why you failed? Do they have to fix it?

Sutty, if you go with the multi package and they introduce residential DSL at a lower price, this does not imply your multi product will drop in price.

Hate that philly, and sorry to here about that eric, looks like I'm going be one of the few round here with 1MBit downs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Im gonna be movin out that area in a few weeks. Out past confey station though, not much chance of that being within range is there?

Originally posted by STaN
    Do eircom have to tell you why you failed? Do they have to fix it?

Sutty, if you go with the multi package and they introduce residential DSL at a lower price, this does not imply your multi product will drop in price.

I was talking about price drops that may happen over all. I never even asked about RDSL. I'm more thinking about compatition really.... like thats going to happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Just onto the biddies myself, and discovered that the Clontarf Exchange is actually upgraded.

Sadly my line didnt pass, but its nice to know that I might be able to get teh Radsl

Hmmm... I rang up today and found out I failed the pretest. I was told this was because I was on ISDN and that they can do a test from the exchange and this is what will tell me if I can or cant. Did you get them to do that Vac? as I was told to ring back in 2 working days for the results.....

I'm on the upgraded exchange anyway, so as far as I know thats the one on the Celbrige road (the one on the way to HP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

YESSSS!!!!!

I'm gonna ring them up today after school. Fingers crossed, but if Phil didn't pass then there's hardly any chance that I will. :/

Ah sure, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

A bit off topic here but biddy-dom tells me that Navan is being upgraded in April with a go-live in June....

Well maybe this would be a good excuse to get a Leixlip WAN up and running eh? Philly, Eric you interested?

If I were to get a 1Mbit line, I'd be willing to share it out a bit, plus there'd be a fileserver hosting patches/drivers/etc. for anyone on the network, it's a really good idea, and I reckon if they're were 10 or so willing to do it in various parts of leixlip, we could actually connect to further out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Nice one, but since phill didn't pass I'm guessing no one from riverforest will have a chance of being compatable.

Where are the exchanges based anyway and since I'm on 56k would I have the problem of downgrading to PDSL?

It would Altheus. Sorry I never mailed the other night... I was ummmm busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I just rang up eircom and the women said my line failed the test, funny because my nextdoor neighbour passed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I'd be interested in it also Altheus.

What's the rang or the criteria for the exchange anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Isn't running a WAN on your residential DSL against the T&C's? I'd be very careful about looking into it before you fire one up - after all the contention will probably be bad enough as it is without lashing more machines onto it.
    Also bear in mind WANs are horribly easy to hack unless you know what you're doing.

And yes, Eircom should be able to test your line without downgrading you to PSTN according to ComReg. They claim otherwise but it isn't true.

Advertisement